Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measures/Analysis for Overtoping River Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Wing

Civil/Environmental
Sep 26, 2012
PH
Common Problem: MEFL or Flood Level is higher than the banks. We don't know whether the water came from the river or the water inland got caught up with the river. Area is practically flood-plain.
What are the usual measures/analysis for this kind of situation. Discharge capacity from Hydrology may be a.) higher than the river capacity b.) lower than the river capacity.

P.S. This is not for an actual project, I'm just curious, but somehow someday I'll be encountering one for sure.

Very Truly Yours,

- andru18

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Flood level of almost every riverine system is over the banks. That's why they call it "flood level." I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I'm confused what your question is. Flood level in a river is determined by a flood study.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Ah, I got your confusion. Sorry for that. In our locality/country, the Maximum Experienced Water Level in a stream, whether it overtopped the banks or not, is called Maximum Experience Flood Level (MEFL).
To cut it short, so for a case of an overtoping waters in the river, you need a thorough flood study. For that, what will be the components of the study?

Very Truly Yours,

- andru18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back