Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

measuring deviation from point cloud to surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasinka

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2013
US
Using NX10.
Basically I have cloud of points collected from 'as built' and I want to compare it to the model.
Most points are near the surface with in 1" and there are millions of points.
is there a way to pick all pints and let NX analize all of them to the surface?
"deviation checking" need need to have 'cloud point to face'

Thank you NX-ers [hourglass]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, there is. The Deviation gauge. You will probably need to play around with the function to find the report you are looking for, but it should do the trick.

Regards,
Tomas

OP,

You might get more feedback or direction if you give more accurate details about the physical part, the model (if you're checking one surface or many surfaces or surfaces of an assembly) and what the point cloud represents (an entire physical part or just a smaller portion of it). Be specific, because it might make a big difference between yes or no. I say this because you use the word "millions" describing the point cloud and if Deviation Gage won't take the points, then you're going to be creating surfaces from those points and that can turn into a big mess very quickly if you aren't giving all the details.

One might consider inspection software (there was a module for NX at one time) rather than CAD if this is going to be a repetitive task. Right tool for the job, IMO.[peace]

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

Tim,
might it be such that you have tried to select the things in the wrong order ?....
Point are selectable , but only as reference objects.
( The second selection step in the dialog)
Maybe one have to set the selection filter to points.

Regards,
Tomas

Thanks for that, Tomas - I misread the Help docs. Points can be selected for reference only. Edited my post. Again, my apologies.

I still feel the OP needs to clarify what is being measured - "millions" of points to a "surface" seems a bit much. If this is a scan of an entire vehicle, for example , and the OP plans to select all points and compare to a single surface, that's probably going to give inaccurate results for some of the max distances. I feel some details are being left out.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

i agree that I didnt give enough details.

Lets say I have sheet body that consists of multiple faces. general geometry in a shape of rectangle beam narrowing on one end.
I have points that were collected from as built part on all 4 sides of beam.
What would be ideal is me picking sheet body and all the points and let NX analyze and spit out average distance, minimum distance and maximum distance. I can use measuring tool and pick one point at a time but that will take unreasonable amount of time.

Thank you for clarifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back