Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Measuring relatively high static and pulsed magnetic fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoyntExH

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2013
US
I checked the forum as best as I could before posting to make sure that I'm not re-asking a common question, though please forgive me if this has been answered in another post.

I have some experience in using linear Hall Effect transducers; however the ones that I used could only measure field strengths of up 700 Gauss. I am working with some dipole magnets, one of which that will have a maximum flux density in the air gap between the pole tips of close to 1.6T, (calculated with FEMM) as well as a pulsed solenoid that was calculated to have a maximum flux density of about 1T if I remember correctly.

I would either like to find a relatively inexpensive Hall probe that can measure these fields or perhaps someone can point me to a supplier for Hall Effect transducers that can actually measure up to 2 or 3 Tesla? Or alternatively, is there another type of magnetic field sensor that I should look into, and if so what is it and where would I get it?

Thanks,

Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a number of Hall Effect sensors/chips that can interface with Arduino boards. You may want to look into them.

For the pulsed field measurement, you may be better served with a search coil. Hall effect sensors might not react fast enough for your pulse.

Given that flux gates have, over the years, improved to their current performance, one would think that one could build a poor;y performing flux gate.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

MagMike:

But can these particular Hall Sensors that can interface with an arduino measure up past 2 Tesla? Also the speed of most Hall sensors I think should be ok for my purposes since the high inductance of the magnet windings should cause the current pulse in the magnet to rise slowly enough for a Hall sensor to pick it up without too much difficulty.

However, do you have any recommendations on where to learn more about search coils?

IRstuff:

Aren't flux gates used typically for more low field sensing, when you also need to know the field direction?

Even a Hall effect sensor is directionally sensitive. In order to "measure" total field, 3 orthogonal sensors are used, and the total field is the root of the sum of the squares of the 3 measured components.

There are commercially available instruments: you could possibly build something that could read one of the probes that LAkeshore makes, but, aside from the engineering complexity is the calibration complexity.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back