Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Measuring RPM of a small motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoted

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2003
KR
Hi!~

It's too small to measure RPM with a optical tachometer.

Is there any method to get RPM of a small motor?

Thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can get the surface speed of a shaft with a laser velocimeter. Whether it could focus on such a small shaft is an interesting question.

Perhaps you could look at the drive current with a scope, or analyse the nosie it makes?

Cheers

Greg Locock

Bluenoted,

I've got a mechanical rotation counter in my toolbox. It is made by Starrett. It comes with several different sized small rubber couplings that you hold against the shaft. Run it for a fixed amount of time and do the division and you get the speed. You can probably find one at a tool dealer.

Timelord

Your motor is probably fastened onto a drive.Perhaps it would be easier to measure the RPM somewhere on the drive. With a tinny color strip on a rotating part of the drive you can measure rotational frequency and calculate the RPM of the motor.
m777182

You can always put an accelerometer on it or nearby, and find the rotational frequency.
If it's not clear from that, unbalance it slightly, then try again!

If it's a commutated motor, we have two products that measure motor speed from commutation current. The first product is older technology, model CRSM1, but we have a new, not-yet-announced product that can track motor speed well enough to allow it to do time-domain averaging of vibration caused by the motor's imbalance.... Contact me for more info if your motor is commutated.... eraftery@cdasys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back