MEASURING THICKNESS in Multi-layer casting (non-metal) 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

designmr

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Needing:

Some type of equipment to measure the thickness of poured material between to large glass plates. These plates are approx. 140" x 100" (sealed all around expect the one inlet at top).

Since the plates are large and not lying flat, I am trying to figure a way to measure what the thickness is at any one place I chose after casting. I know the thickness of the plates, but I want the thickness of the material I am pouring in when done.

I appreciate any help (I hope I explained it well).

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you know the thickness of the glass plates ? then 3D scan the outside and do the math.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

You didn't specify a desired accuracy or cost target. Not having measured the local thickness of glass prior to pouring makes most methods impossible to use.

This question seems more suited to the...

Measurement & control instrumentation engineering forum

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

do you want a general idea of the thickness ? ... can you fill the space with water and so determine the volume and average thickness ?

can you make a test piece and measure it ??

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Contact or non contact ultrasound, laser, CMM, big calipers, machine vision, lots of ways to do this.

Ultrasound will give you the thickness of all 3 layers as long as the speed of sound is known

Seem like the Ultrasonic is the way to go. THANK YOU all for your replies. Since we know the Glass thickness and seems the material being poured is in question, Ultrasonic would be a help. We are pretty sure the thickness is varying within the castings, but nobody has been able to check exactly the possible difference in thicknesses.

Thank you again.

Not knowing what poured material is, what seems like a variable is the 'material' solidification-shrinkage and porosity... and adhesion or disbond to the glass.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Be aware that if there is any disbond between the filler and glass UT will not work.
But it is easy so it is where I would start.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back