Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mech Desktop being discontinued???....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunkwerkes

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2001
CA
Please if you have info on this could you please post it or a link to it?...
I'm trying to convince my college that this is an outdated program and that their are several better and more widely used 3D modeling programs out their.
Thanks for your time,
Shaun Martin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Folks;

Getting back to the original topic of MDT being discontinued, I think the following should be born in mind:

MDT is the only midrange product which combines full 2D and 3D Drafting capability, a solid modeler and a surface modeler. Right out of the box, despite the fatal errors, you can do just about anything with it.

Solidworks and Inventor are purely solid modelers. Very few users of these products dont already have seats of autocad as well to shore up their 2d drafting capability. Many users of these products also buy stand alone packages for surface modelling.

I dont deny Solidworks and Inventor are more refined than MDT when it comes to solid modelling. But you have to shell out more dough if you want them to approach MDT's functionality. It may be inevitable that MDT will be discontinued, but it will not be a good thing for the cad consumer. Now they will have to buy 3 licences to do what they previously could with 1.

Regards Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back