Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mech Eng and EEE which one has more calculations?? 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

maturestudent14

Electrical
Apr 3, 2014
GB
I'm get bored easily with writing. I would prefer course with a lot of calculations.Between Mechanical Engineering and Electrical&Electronic Engineering(undergraduate) which has more calculations.

I know courses such as much Maths and Physics could suite me better but I'm looking other factors, like job prospects.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You want a quantitative analysis of which field uses more math? Really? [ponder]

Just go for the field you enjoy most and don't worry about such piddling things (that can't be quantified because it depends upon so many various factors).

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

The direct answer, is that on my course, the electrical guys did more sums, but mechanical did more calculations. Watching an electrical guy learning to use steam tables (the first two years were largely common, they did thermo, we did power electrics and electronics) was hysterical. Fluids/aero seemed to be the area for maths, but these days I expect they are all colorful fluid dynamics.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

MacGyverS2000,

I have seen a lot of people started courses they like but some of them ended up drop out and some after graduating they start to study something different.And they wished they could do more research before started they courses.

It doesn't harm anything to sit down for a few minutes looking for advises but it makes a big different in your future life.

My EE friends typically did more 'math' on a day to day basis, which usually amounted to setting up a set of equations for a different case of a problem that had been solved millions of times before in pretty much the same way.

My EE friends have gotten into big trouble when they tried to apply their usual problem solving techniques to ME-type problems without understanding the limitations of existing solutions.

Example: beam theory gives very inaccurate answers for large deflections because the classical equations were derived using small-angle approximations.

Example: fluid flow analogies are often used when teaching basic DC electricity, but real fluid resistances are square-law devices, and electrons don't freeze, boil, or cavitate.

On the few occasions when an ME has to resort to math instead of a hammer, the math can be pretty tough.

As Greg said, computers have changed that some, but there are still an infinite number of ways to inadvertently induce a computer to lie to you.

... and no matter which degree you get, you'll probably end up doing something from another specialty, or something that hasn't even been invented yet, so focus on optimizing your learning process, because you've only just begun.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sorry, but your question is absurdly broad. You can do almost no calculations on a day-to-day basis, to routinely doing 3D PDEs, just depending on your subdiscipline. Certain subdisciplines like thermal and stress analysis are probably more loaded with math than the run of the mill. Similarly, analog circuit analysis or RF comm might require more math. But, even then, there are nuances...

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

In my experience (ME), most of the "writing" was reports (design, lab, project). Non-engineering electives will probably contain similar amounts of writing, whatever course they hang from. But the core engineering courses where mostly concepts and mathematical models, not actual calcs.

- Steve

Then learn to not be bored with writing.

Successful engineers need to know how to write. Write well and write clearly.

Engineers that cannot write do not advance.

"Engineers that cannot write do not advance", truer words were never spoken. If writing does not "suite" [sic] you, then you probably need to become a plumber or an electrician.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. —Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

That's a bit extreme. There are lots of engineers that aren't good writers. Which is tolerable, because there are others that are, just as there are others who are better public speakers. A good manager is someone who can take a group of people with disparate skills and blends everything into a cohesive and effective whole.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Any engineer who can't produce documents which are technically accurate and grammatically precise will struggle to maintain credibility, especially in a consulting role or in a senior position. Careless use of language in a document opens up questions about the accuracy of the technical content; if the author doesn't feel the need to write with precision, does he have a similar approach to his calculations?

I've had engineers on my projects that could not communicate in writing. Invariably they became de facto (if not de jure) technicians for other team members. The non-writer would feed data and calculations to another engineer who would write the spec/design/installation/training document and defend it. Next project the writer was the team lead and the non-writer was the tech for someone else. Over time those guys find themselves "supporting" younger and younger engineers who can write a coherent sentence. First "staff readjustment" and the non-writer is seen as someone we can safely get rid of. I've seen this over and over. It just doesn't matter how good you are at "engineering" (whatever that means), if you can't communicate your ideas you might as well not have them.

That may be "extreme" IRstuff, but it is very real.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. —Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

I guess I've never seen that particular situation in practice. Most of the engineers I've seen who were laid off generally had other problems besides communications, i.e., they weren't even that good as engineers. Good engineers are often forgiven for lots of sins; we once had a very talented ECL designer who REEKED to the point where we would always attempt to interact with him upwind of the nearest A/C register, just to make sure we would pass out from the malodorous environment. There was another engineer who was very good at communications, but was a completely mediocre engineer, and a tyrant and backstabber, to boot. We had a great going away party for her, but somehow, we must have forgotten to give her an invitation ;-)

In any case, I do agree that communications ability should be cultivated and practiced; the more assets and skills you have, the better off in general you are.

It should pointed out to the OP that pretty much ANY job can benefit from having communications skills. Even if you were a math professor, your tenure might be dependent on publishing.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

I'm on board with zdas04 on this one. If you can't communicate effectively - even print clearly - you create a level of confusion and inefficiency within the team that offsets your engineering talent, and that situation worsens with time. It's hard to plan or run a project when you already have to build in a "workaround" to compensate for the lack of communication skills by others. One thing that helps solve this is to mandate the preparation of calculation summaries or cover sheets, in which the originator has to explain the purpose, the scope, the assumptions, the methodology, the results, the implications and the recommendations pertaining to the calculation. After about a year of doing that, even to thiose otherwise disinclined to write reports, technical report writing (e.g., preparation of a DBM) becomes pretty straightforward.

Agree with Zdas;

To me what is of a worry here is the OP general mindset hidden behind the question itself.
In other words, the "I want to do more calculations..." thing means doing calculation for the sake of doing calculation.

Doing calculation should not be a goal but simply a mean. The goal should be to contribute and solve the said problem.
It can be by writing a piece of document (I try to improve my english and writing skills at the moment for the same reasons given above), communicating verbally or doing maths - whatever, it should not matter.

I would not be comforted working with colleagues who would increase the number of calculation just for the sake of it, I would feel I am working with amateurs as their attitude is not driven "by purpose".

That being said, I am not saying calculations are useless; tools for example can guide decisions and can be critical sometimes.

I think being driven by purpose is a powerfull thing so that when it determines that calculation/tools are indeed needed, it drives like hell technical advancement and progress in the particular field ultimately resulting in availability of powerfull tools, think for example about CFD codes, turbulent simulations, etc.

"If you want to acquire a knowledge or skill, read a book and practice the skill".

Calculate all you want, if you can't write then you won't be a respected professional in any engineering field.

I'm bored with a lot of things that I'm not good at. When I recognize that I could get paid for them, suddenly they become much more interesting and I develop the skill. Very simple calculation to be done there, I could even make a graph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back