Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mech / Equip / Display Mezz Live Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutero

Specifier/Regulator
Jul 20, 2006
US
IBC does not list minimum live loads for mechanical, equipment or display mezzanines. IBC 1606.2 states to include fixed service equipment dead loads.

After equipment loads have been considered, what do you use for overall live loads, for the above specified commercial occupancies?

Thank you ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest at least 100 psf to insure that live load reduction is not mistakenly applied during the design process. Also looking thru IBC 2003, Section 1607 this seems to be more or less a typical number for what I would consider "commercial occupancies" (restaurants, offices, stores, gymnasiums, etc.)

[idea]

I always use 125 PSF.

It always amazes me how much stuff they wind up putting in these rooms and they hang from the roof structure.

200 PSF seems like an over kill unless you have specific knowledge of the equipment to be used.

Regards,
Lutfi

What about display shelfs in churches or other areas of aethetics, such that, due to the design parameters, such as size and location, which would render the space as uninhabitable, it may be obvious that it would never be used for storage or mechanical. Consider classrooms being 40 psf. Would anyone ever consider an uninhabitable attic with storage for 20 psf?

I am all for safety. I've been accused of designing bomb shelters. But, in some cases, I don't want to be an extreme overkill. I realize this is my decision, but, I'm just curious if anyone has EVER considered any of the above.

Thank you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back