Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mech Seal Surface Temps (ATEX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkboy

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
DE
I have been asked to provide surface temperatures for several mechanical seals currently in operation on site.
Temperatures (est.) during normal operation and surface temps of mech seals which have, say, lost barrier flow/pressure or are dry running.

I have enough information to calculate the Heat Generated by the seals on site and from experience I would say its very unlikely the seals will have surface temp of over 60°C if everything is working correctly.

That i suppose is where Im having trouble.
How can I give a realistic estimate of surface temps when the seal is operating incorrectly ??
(dry running, no cooler, blocked cooler etc etc)

Any thoughts and advice welcomed

TIA

-
Milkboy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Milkboy

As part of our ATEX testing, we have basically dry run seals to see how much heat they generate to class them for T4, T3 etc.

As the ATEX rules have changed for mechanical seals, we now issue paperwork for seals allowing the user to do their own risk assesment. I would be happy to send these to you if you private mail me or provide me with your e mail address.

lgoochy

milkboy

Sorry for the delay I have been out of the country for a few weeks and I go again tomorrow

I will mail you in two weeks on my return

Igoochy/Milkboy,

Any chance you can copy me on the rules and paperwork issued regarding the ATEX rules discussed in the earlier threads on this subject/thread?

Thanks for the assistance.

Paul
34 Gorham Road
Wiscasset, ME 04578

Thanks again

Hi,

You might try infrared thermography to complete the T-class inspections for both new equipment and also for followups.

The inspector/thermographer should be HazEx Thermography certified but T-class inspections are an excellent application for this technology.

Best Regards,

Tony Holliday
Hawk IR International

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back