Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanica results are way off

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygear

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2011
US
I'm working on an FEA for a steel structure made from 2"x2"x3/16" structural tubing. This is a follow up to an FEA I ran several months ago before I made some modifications to my structure. The new FEA is being done under WF 4.0 and the old FEA was done under WF 2.0. For some unknown reason, my stresses are approximately the same but my displacements are about 1000x what they should be in the new FEA. For the load that I have applied I would expect about 9mm of displacement but I am getting 9500mm. I have triple checked the units and everything is right, but the numbers are wrong.

Anyone ever seen this happen before?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found the problem...

Looks like some of the materials in our material library have the incorrect units. I redefined the material in my model and now the numbers make sense again.

An interesting lesson here! These days, analysis codes are all pretty robust and do exactly as you tell them. The problem is nearly every case is with the inputs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back