Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Calculation on support

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGMIG

Electrical
Jan 19, 2010
IR

I am a power electric engineer and I am evolved a project to calculate the mechanical loading on supports. I need to know how I can calculate the forces on supports in attachment file.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Simple statics...any physics book or statics book will show this to you.

Don't forget to include the weight of the beam as it might be significant for larger equipment.

How critical is this support system? It is important that such supports and connections be designed properly, as equipment downtime and safety are paramount to such designs.

I would suggest that you get a structural engineer involved. Even though your simplistic sketch shows a simple, fundamental analysis need, there are parameters that you have not shared with us that might not be appropriately considered if you only do the simple static analysis.

Hi MIGMIG

I have uploaded a file showing how to get the reactions on the supports, however there is more to it than that as the previous poster as stated.
For instance the line drawn as a beam will have stresses imposed on it from bending and shear, you really need to get details of the beam so you can ensure its strong enough.

desertfox

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e091ba6a-8ac5-4bdb-8090-f864f3737a19&file=reactions.pdf
Daer All

I am now for the first time designing a 300 KW hydro cross flow turbine.

The runner diamater is 463 mm, rotating at 667 RPM, excerting 4300 NM torque. All power is transmitted to one end plate as there is no through shaft.

The hub diamater would be 200 mm, and the shaft is 90 mm.
Could any one help me on how to calculate the thickness of this rotating plate and the ideal length of the hub both with the same material with allowable stress of 140 Mpa.

Thanks and regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back