Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mechanical Design Software Solutions / Starting a Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcm1r

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2012
Fellow Engineers,

I am getting information together as I am wanting to put into action the idea of going solo / at least part time.

One of the major expenses appears to be the software and ASME Code cost related to the design of pressure vessels (PV Elite / Compress, etc.) I obtained preliminary quotes and the cheapest solution would be in the region of $8000 (USD) for Div I and II, and heat exchanger capability. Buying the software should relieve me from buying the latest codes though (I am presuming).

I would not mind spending the money however seeing as it is for a 1 year license the ROI would be virtually zero for the first year, however it is an enabler as this is the avenue I want to lean towards (PV Design).

Any suggestions / advice from those who already has the T-shirt?

I am situated in Southern Africa.

Kind regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

" Buying the software should relieve me from buying the latest codes though (I am presuming)"

Maybe the software you use is very different from the ones I use day to day. While my software makes some attempt at supporting compliance with relevant industry standards it doesn't enforce it.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

" Buying the software should relieve me from buying the latest codes"

I think no single software nor suite is likely to encompass everything that's embedded in a standard.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Thanks for the replies.

What I was referring to pertains to the fact that some of the software packages include ASME II material values, etc. I have numerous old codes, however I see the latest ASME set is $116k (USD), which is seriously expensive, thus I will hold off from buying as long as I can.

Returning to the question of software, does everyone buy the latest pressure vessel design software once they start or is there more cost effective short term solutions?

Kind regards

Seriously? You're talking about something that's the equivalent of 2 hours of your time. Do you really think that skimping on a fundamental reference document is "cost effective?" Any error in implementing the new code is going to cost you way more than two hours of your time.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back