Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mechanical Design Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
I am curious. What are you people using to do mechanical design? Primarily, I want to know how many people are using 2D CAD. I know some architects still use drafting boards. Please confine this to mechanical design.

I may have to move this to Surveymonkey.

SolidWorks 2007.

Critter.gif
JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use Solid Edge but are considering going to Solid Works to be consistent with the rest of our corporation and many vendors etc.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Inventor Pro 2010

Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.
-A R Dykes

We use Visi Vero, would love to move over to Catia when finances allow.

I do not know of anyone still using 2D in the automotive world.

SolidWorks 2010, stopped using 2D as primary about 13yrs ago.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Inventor Pro 2010, although I still whip out sketches on AutoCad from time to time (it can be faster than Inventor for some things). SW would be my first choice, but legacy keeps us where we are. Son at home (doing CG work for school projects) uses Rhino and Google sketchup, but his last project was done on an Autocad 3D suite, which includes inventor and some newer stuff they have that did some pretty neat surfacing/rendering.

Haven't used 2D cad, well, ever (except for flowcharts). Went directly from the board to Applicon (around '86), followed by ComputerVision, CadKey, UG/NX, and a little SolidWorks thrown in for good measure.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Well, if we're going into history not just what we currently use...

I've never done a full hand drawing, just a few amendments including on silk media.

At uni I used 'Auto-sketch' for our limited drawing labs, they moved to AutodCad the following year (which sucked for anyone in my year needing drawings for their final year design projects etc.).

As soon as I started working it was straight onto 3D with Solid Edge and Pro E. What limited 2D stuff I've done has been in the 2D environment of Solid Edge.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Currently it's SolidWorks 2009, haven't convinced enough people to go to 2010 yet. I have used table for university work. In industry I have used AutoCAD, ProE, Microstation and SolidWorks (and DWGEditor if you count that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back