Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical designers books and others.... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsmiff

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2008
GB
Hi

Im after some reviews or pointers towards books for the mechanical engineer.

I have come across a book by Marks, whcih seems to cover a heck of a lot (798 somewhat pages) but it costs about a 100 quid on amazon..has anybody seen or uses this book ? Or does anyone have any other books they would recommend ?

Also, i wish to get into pneumatics, can anyone recommend where i would start to educate myself on this topic? Again i have seen some books but i have no idea if they are any good or if in fact there are any online resources.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by pneumatics?

1) Power pneumatics where cylinders are used to motorise valves, hoists and other mechanical equipment
2) fluidics for control
3) pneumatic conveying
4) pneumatic control instrumentation
5) compressors and compressed air systems

amae36,

The more you read in this Forum the more your language will improve. I am sure it is far better than our knowledge of your native tongue.

Please try not to use txt shortcuts as it tends to annoy the more experienced of the contributors. We are used to the Queen's English and try and preserve it against the rising tide of lazy speakers. A battle I am sure we will lose but we will not go down without a fight.

If we have not understood try again to put your point across.

Write once, read twice, fix and then send is a good maxim.

stanier,
Sincerely thanks for your advises, I dont understand, your comment means that my post (TXT Shortcuts) tends to annoy any one? if yes, i apologize all

Amae36,

Thank you for responding. I see you are listening which gives me great encouragement.

Simple things irk people such as:-

"u" should be "you"
"ur" "Your"
"i" "I"

and not taking time to correct spelling.

It is a cultural thing. We oldies are fed up with the Y Generation taking short cuts with our language rather than being proud of being precise and knowledgeable.

It is not fault of the youth of today but the teachers who were hell bent on maintaining that as long as someone understood the message the sentence construction, language and spelling did not matter. Well it does matter. If you take pride in your work you will win respect from others.

It can cost you a job, project or court case if you are not precise.

The sloppiness of the use of the English language then conjures up images of the other perceived faults of the Y Generation such as :-

use of drugs
excess alcohol
bad behaviour
poor driving habits
lack of respect for people and belongings
increase in crime

These are not all necessarily real but it is a fact that as one gets older then fear becomes a more dominant emotion.

Stainer,

Whilst i applaud your correcting of both grammatical and pronunciation in the use of the English language, im afraid i have disagree with your point of blaming the teachers.

My partner is an English teacher, and is very articulate and precise with her language and teaching of. Even seeing billboards with apostrophes in the wrong places causes her to see red ! Whilst we can only educate and try to enlighten the younger generation in the use of language I fear that this new “modern” talk is to stay and albeit but try, slang language will always be popular because people are (and becoming more) lazy.

I personally think that the mobile phone is the cause of this new English language. Constricted to only 80 characters ‘See you later’ can be literally ‘c u l8r’ saving valuable message space… whats wrong with just picking up the phone and speaking to them anyway beats me !

We digress admittedly, but I think it is a poignant point raised.

In response to my original post, I appreciate all the comments about books etc.

Thx !

@Stanier,
What I found interesting in your description about generation Y was that you neglected to mention that some professions actually talk that way. Mainly it is only in parts of teh computer field and it is done to save time.
I am also still active in the IT field and some of the other boards I visit are filled with post like that and much worse, especially when it comes to acronyms. Just about every post has a TLDR(Too Long Didnt Read and s summary was given at the bottom of the post). Kind of funny was when I was getting into the field I would spend more time finding what the different acronyms meant than reading the post

On the subject of books, I have found some of the Schaum's to be helpful. I use for reference the Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer books at times. Also the books that are used in school are generally good like Shigley's and Norton's

Guys, this is way off topic. Similar threads have been posted in forum1010 I suggest you continue this there.

While the majority of highly active members of this site probably board have English (or American or some other colonial form of English;-)) as their first language there are plenty of posters with English as a second language.

Most members are very tolerant of poor grammar etc when it's because English isn't your first language, sometimes we'll even help with suggestions for improvement. However, many of us are very intolerant of 'text speak' and the like. If you want to get the help of those of us with a bug in our butt about text speak then meet us half way.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at

[tongue]

jimsmiff said:
Whilst i applaud your correcting of both grammatical and pronunciation in the use of the English language, im afraid i have disagree with your point of blaming the teachers.

My partner is an English teacher...

...thx

Five grammatical/spelling errors... Do you blame your partner? [smile]

I do tend to think that SMS / text messaging has promoted the use of shortcuts. Anyone accessing eng-tips via their mobile is forgiven (though I find it way too tedious with my Blackberry). Most folks who are active in eng-tips probably have a full keyboard in front of them. They can use it. Nonetheless, I am an ESL (English as a second language) person, and since my first language uses completely phonetic spelling - none of this "the letter A can make 17 different sounds depending on which word its in and multiple sounds within a word" stuff - I do have some sympathy towards "phoneticizing" English.

The IT folks can do what they want on their forums such as tek-tips. Eng-tips is for the rest of us who don't need to save bytes.

jt

It's not just the IT that talkes like that both electrical and mechanical. I don't think that this is helping jimsmiff with his question about referance books.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Aside from the usual reference books (calculations, specifications etc) the book that is usually on my desk is 'The Complete (so far) Book of Experience with Vivid Illustrations' by Myself. Very useful indeed!
Don't be afraid to look, ask questions and learn.

geoffthehammer wrote:
Aside from the usual reference books (calculations, specifications etc) the book that is usually on my desk is 'The Complete (so far) Book of Experience with Vivid Illustrations' by Myself. Very useful indeed!
Don't be afraid to look, ask questions and learn.

I'd like to see it. Do you have a link?????????? Or am I missing something????????

Bud Trinkel, Fluid Power Consultant
HYDRA-PNEU CONSULTING

Great thread. subscribed for posterity.

SW2008 Office Pro SP4.0
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2.2GHz, 2.00GB RAM
QuadroFX 3700
SpacePilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back