Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Desktop to Solidworks Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickVJ

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2006
US
I am looking into buying a seat of SW for my home office to teach myself how to use it. Can any of you experts tell me how easy of a transition it will be as I have been using Mechanical Desktop for the last 5 years? And also would anybody recommend getting the student version with COSMOS for starters?

Rick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, having gone through the pains of learning MDT I'll say that anybody who can do *that* is more than capable of getting up to speed on SolidWorks (or Inventor or Solid Edge) pretty quickly.

You'll have to set aside your notions of how things are done in MDT but you'll be happy to do so once you see how easy it is with SWX.

You're going to be amazed at how much quicker you are.

Remember, there's a reason why Autodesk retired MDT and rolled out Inventor.

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

Thanks for the feedback. I actually thought MDT6 was quite easy to use except for the fact that it had a really hard time performing complex curve blends. So hearing that comment is quite nice.

Would you recommend learning on the student version or should I get a full version of SW 2007?

rick

I found the trick was to stop drawing and start machining. That is, AutoCAD is primarily a drafting program, whereas the modern programs are more concerned with thinking about shapes and how to make them. One thing I particularly used a lot in IDEAS when I started was the idea of a tool which was then subtracted from the part - ie a moulding operation.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I switched from MDT to SolidWorks about two years ago. I had the most difficult time adjusting to having separate files for parts, assemblies and drawings instead of having everything in one file. You have to pay attention to file references, and it is critically important that you understand what's going on with them. It's very easy to make a mess of things if you don't understand how the relationships between files work.

Everybody will tell you that SolidWorks Explorer or PDMWorks is the best (only?) way to manage file references, but I taught my users to manage with SolidWorks and Windows Explorer. I'm not recommending that you do that, but by making them do it the hard way, I was sure that they understood how it worked. Only then did I show them the easy (right?) way via SolidWorks Explorer.

So--make it a point to understand how references work. There are several ways to see these references in SolidWorks or SW Explorer; the help also does a good job of describing it.

Another adjustment that just came to mind--use symmetry and the three basic work planes to build your models, and they'll behave more predictably. By default, MDT didn't use those planes, although there was an option to create a part with them.

Good luck,

Brian

Contact your local SolidWorks VAR. they can provide you with a demo copy (a.k.a. "Personal edition") and you can see for yourself.

SolidWorks is about as easy as it gets for teaching oneself 3D CAD.

Thanks for the advice!!!! I already had a local reseller written down on a postit on my desk whom I was going to call tomorrow. I like what I am hearing about SW and am excited to start learning as I have seen many jobs that I have had to pass up because of the SW requirement.

Rick

Rick - Just remember once you're seated in front of SWx forget everything you know about MDT it will not help you learn SWx. And if you start asking yourself "this is how I would do it in MDT" then you will be doomed to failure and find yourself amongst the many sniveling Autodesk product users that have attempted to learn a world class MCAD product. Welcome aboard, have fun learning SWx and we will be hear to help you [wink]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Heckler ... your promotional commission cheque from SW will be in the mail soon. And I suggest you avoid any trips near the Autodesk HQ. They will have posted the "reward for capture" notices by tomorrow lunchtime.

[rofl]

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

I have used MDT6 with Power Pack and the AutoPOL sheet metal add-on. One thing you have going for you since you have used MDT is that you already understand working in 3D. You understand how constraints work in sketches and models.

A strike you have against you is you have used MDT, so you will get frustrated with SW because it doesn't work the same (which is a good thing). Parameters/global variables are very week in SW compared to MDT. You start using too many and the system starts slowing down. But you can use skeleton sketches in assemblies so you may not need variables as much.

File management is something to implement if you haven't already. Creating a naming convention is something else to consider because you will find yourself re-using parts and assemblies in SW.

Also, In MDT I worked top-down in assemblies, but in SW bottom-up.

If you have used MDT with AutoPOL, you will find that SW sheet metal isn't as strong, but considering sheet metal is included in SW, it isn't bad. SW cannot create sheet metal transitions, square-to-rounds, helix's (for spiral stairs) or other complex flat patterns.

Depending on the type of work you do and the complexity of it, you may find yourself running smoothly in about a month or so if you follow the tutorials in SW and leave MDT behind. After using SW for awhile, you will find MDT very "clunky" for lack of a better word.

SW06 SP5.0

Flores

Flores - SWx 2007 can do square to cylinder sheet metal transition. The thing with geometry transitions within any sheet metal program is trying to unfold it becomes very nonlinear thus flat patterns not being true. Think of unwrapping a sphere or peeling an orange in one piece....very hard to get a true flat pattern.

A few years ago I was working in a large aerospace corporation doing composite structure design. We were using SDRC MS 4.0 as our MCAD package exporting composite designs to this proprietary software package that created flat patterns based on our ply layup. This was cutting edge technology for composite manufacturing.

CBL - Lucky for me my office has coded doors.

You guys are awesome with all of the great replies you have given me but I am still waiting for a reply regarding going with the student version for my self teaching rather than the full version? Does any body have any words of wisdom with regards to this? I guess being dowsized in April and still being unemployed is a small $$$$$$$$$$ factor if you know what I mean.

Rick

If you're just looking to learn the package then by all means, go with the student version. That's especially true if you're not bringing in any income and you're not planning to use SWX to do so.

The student version can't be used for commercial purposes and (I believe) cannot import/export. I think the drawings are all watermarked, too.

If you're just trying to improve your skills, the student version is the right one.

The full version of SolidWorks will set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5,000 dollars while the student version can be had for a few hundred. Oh yeah, it times out, too (2 years, I think, but I'm not sure).

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

Haven't tried transitions etc. in SW07, but 2006 had them and the flat patterns were not correct (C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2006\data\design library\parts\sheetmetal\lofted bends). Not sure how AutoPOL did it, but it did flat layouts on the mark. It may have been mathematically, who knows. Back in the days I had to use Dykem layout spray, steel rule, dividers, and triangulation. If you know the math, an excel spreadsheet could make the flat pattern.

Never made a complete sphere, but see my post on the link:

SW06 SP5.0

Flores

You can pick up the student version for less than $100 if you search the web a little. Sometimes SolidWorks user groups have the student edition available for free as a give away item. If you're just trying to learn the student edition is the way to go because you get everything (not just base SolidWorks)PhotoWorks, Animator, Utilities, PDMWorks, everything in Office Premium I believe. The down fall is it won't open commercial version files or files more than 30 days old.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 8/12/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0 / SW 2007 SP 0.0

Thanks a ton to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sold, I think I will be purchasing a copy tomorrow. I'm sure the reseller I will be going to will be able to enlignten me on the best value for my needs as well as well as the best tutorials available. Thanks again for all your help, it has been more than enlightening and helpful in my decision!!!! Autodesk is going to have me on their hitlist for sure as I have been using Autocad and loved it for for the last 14 years:)

rick

You're right ctopher!!! I've been using MDT for everything I've designed for the last 5 years so I'm pretty excited to learn another solid modeling package!!!!!

rick

RickVJ,

I was in the same boat about 5 years ago, no job nothing but AutoCad experience. A friend was helping me learn MDT.
I became aware of a program SolidWorks had at the time, engineer, unemployed, want to learn SolidWorks? Provided me with 6 month license of SW2001+ granted it was much like the student version but it got me a job. It was my VAR that actually got me the lead, and I attended every seminar and selling session they had to network. Sending resumes was the least productive part of my job search. Have fun... and don't forget to come back here for those things that might not sink in right away, this place is a must read every morning.

Dennis

SolidWorks 2007 SP0.0
Windows XP Pro, Pentium4 3.00GHz
1.5 GB RAM, Matrox P650
Logitech Marble Mouse, CadMan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back