Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mechanical Engineering jobs with overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panjaabi

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2006
US
Does anyone knows about any mechanical engineering concentration or jobs that has overtime? Meaning jobs where you will get overtime pay if you are working 40+ hours.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tend to work a lot of OT, I usually average 10 a day (we work a 80/9 schedule). So I get quite a bit of unofficial flex time. About once a month I take an additional day off.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I don't know what y'all are talking about. It is my experience working as a "permanent employee" at any US E&C company and at many other types of companies that you DO get paid overtime. Always as a contract worker. I stopped working unpaid OT back in the early 80's when my loyalty to my employer was repaid with 2 weeks notice. If your company has concrete practices in place that demonstrate their loyalty to YOU, then you might consider doing some unpaid OT. If not, the job market is about as hot as I've ever seen it, and you don't need to subscribe to the idea of free work. Bring this practice to an end. Who else do you see doing it? (Even upper level management doesn't.) Do you have a sticker on your forehead that says, "Kick me"?

Not so in aerospace. Many companies will not pay direct engineers overtime, and many try not to pay overtime to contractors.

The two large aerospace companies where I was employed, Lockheed and McDonnell Douglas, DID pay overtime if they have the money for it, and DID pay contractors for all hours worked. Now if you are a contractor and not getting paid for every hour, you are getting screwed, IMO.

I agree. The contractor only has himself to blame if he accepts such conditions.
My experience with overtime not being paid was with smaller companies.

I worked as a consultant for a while with a Mechanical engineer who had negotiated some kind of deal with his boss where he was paid for overtime. But, I don't quiz people about that kind of thing, so maybe everybody does it.

3 jobs ago the owner/boss "offered" me a salaried position, where overtime would be swapped for comp time. I am not the type to quibble over an hour or two here or there, or object to doint what it takes to help a customer, nor do I spend time surfing or chatting about football, but I knew this guy would be conveniently ignoring the 60 hour weeks and expecting 40.01 hours on the slow weeks (*). I figured the time clock was the only way to keep things remotely fair, so I declined the "offer".

(*) As you might expect, his personal and business practices were similar. A friend who worked in the shop told me the Boss had him remove the remaining washer fluid from a company van before trading it in. To quote the late great Moms Mabley...”don’t say nothin’ about the dead, unless you can say somethin’ good.....he’s dead....good!”

ARTISI

with your kind of attitude sure thing I would not like to work for you.

the problem with some employers is that they think they make you a favour by giving you a job. Most of the time in such cases turns out the job was no worth 2c in the first place......

I haven't made an hourly salary in 12 years (when I first started working as an engineering assistant). People can complain about unpaid overtime all they want, but I feel if your working hard, most employers give ample (project time). If your work isn't getting done, either you didn't think the design through, or your slacking off. Now there are some cases (and I have worked at such a place) where there is never an end of work, and no matter how hard or how long you work, there is always more work, and it is always unpaid.. I think if your unhappy, then your just not working at the right place. I work for a place that has been family owned for over 40 years, and they never "expect" overtime, people volunteer to put in a couple hours a week if need be to get a project finished, but your allowed slack later on when things slow down. I'm also paid pretty well for what I do, and I'm also learning a lot (on-the-job) so I certainly can't complain.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you enjoy what you do, get paid well, then overtime is not really slavery, or free work, it's volunteering to want to finish a job your enjoying.

I don't see many posts from the automotive discipline, but the key in automotive engineering is negotiating before you sign on... but I guess that is anywhere you work.

If you know that your last company made you work overtime and didn't pay you for it, figure it into your target salary. If you are at a job right now that you are getting underpaid, and are working extra hours, then look for a new job. If you are a derelict and neglect to consider these options, then you don't deserve to get paid. If you don't shoot you don't score in this case. So put together a spreadsheet, figure in what your salary would be in a 40hr week, find the hourly pay, multiply by (40+overtime hrs)/week = Asking salary. Simple

"opsops3 (Aeronautics) 2 Jun 07 3:50
ARTISI

with your kind of attitude sure thing I would not like to work for you.

the problem with some employers is that they think they make you a favour by giving you a job. Most of the time in such cases turns out the job was no worth 2c in the first place......"

I think you might have mised the point I was trying to make, starting out in any job / field there is a lot more important things than worrying about O/T - sure it would be part of any interview and consideration on your part as well as the the prospective employer and would or should form part of the salary/conditions negotiations.

Or do you feel you should go into the any interview with the sole aim as to how much you can earn? "I thing your job really suits me - it pays a lot of wages and overtime - that's what I want, etc etc - -"

For me as an interviewer, I would be looking for someone who was interested in the position, willing to put in some effort, was interested in furthering their knowledge and position in the company and who could give a commitment to long term employment, for which I would be prepared to offer a fair and reasonable return (including O/T as and when appropriate)

If your work isn't getting done, either you didn't think the design through, or your slacking off.

Or just maybe there is too much work, or the company employs half the number of engineers required to do the job properly. Many of us are faced with a choice like this: cut corners (people die); work yourself into an early grave (you die); do it right and bring it in late (the company dies).

What industry are you in? It must be great to have enough staff, achievable deadlines, only a couple of hours o/t! Where do I apply?

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back