Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology?? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaZakated

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2006
Hello,

I am 26 years old, have a wife and two children, am a sophomore in college, and faced with a desicion to make.

First of all, allow me to explain my goals in life:

> I want to be a design engineer. I want to be a creator.
> I want to make good money doing so.
> I do not want to be limited in any way when it comes to my previous goals.
> Math and physics are my strong subjects; I do not want to be in a lab problem solving someone elses designs.
> I have a passion for the theoretical side of engineering. Basically, I enjoy mathematics and creating things.

Situation:

I am an Engineering Technology major (Mechanical concentration)(Bachelor of Applied Science). I have taken 6 Engineering Technology courses in college along with many standard courses such as English, Communication, History, and Calculus. I am evaluating the feasibilty of changing my major to Mechanical Engineering (Bachelor of Science in Engineering). If I change majors, none of the Engineering Technology courses I have taken will count towards my new major.

Questions:

1) Even if I am a very motivated individual, will the engineering technology degree limit me in life at all?

2) Even if I have to spend an extra year in school (along with other added hardships), is the Mechanical engieering degree going to be worth it compared to engineering technology degree?

Thank you for your time.

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be aware there are many states that will not license you as a PE if your degree is technology. Check your state if that is your eventual goal. Typically, they will require you to take extra classes like calculus-based physics. You can take those now while you are still in college if you want to get the technology degree but still get the PE. Your technology program shouldn't have a problem with you taking more advanced classes in place of your regular classes.

jpankask (Mechanical)

Please list the State that will not license as a Professional Engineer after taking the PE Exam if your B.S. Degree is in Mechanical Engineering Technology

"I've met PhDMEs who couldn't design their way out of a cardboard box"
Haven't we all!! "Engineers" with strings of qualifications who couldn't design a dogs kennel, much less erect it!

"Personally I wouldn't want a Physicians Assistant doing surgery on me"
Personally I'd want someone with a good track record of sucessful surgery not someone who had read the book and passed the exam.

"Now if only the states would mandate that all engineers be licensed and degreed, then we would at least have competency-by-regulation and licensure!"
Well they'd all have degrees and licenses, but would they be good engineers?

By the way, what qualifications did Brunel have?

In Ontario (Canada), EngTech vs Engineer is a huge difference. First, "P.Eng" (Professional Engineers) and "Engineer" are titles reserved by law for Licensed Professional Engineers; no sanitation engineers, no domestic engineers, etc. The Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario prosecutes those within the province who use these titles without license; they've won a suit against Microsoft for their use of "Microsoft Engineer" for their service techs. If an Eng Technician or Technologist (or non-reciprocity agreement foreign-trained engineer) wants to get their license, there's coursework and exams required to establish their academic credentials; few ever do it because it is a pretty heavy load.

As for how industry here treats them, there's little difference at the production-design level. There is a greater difference when it comes to R&D, where Engineers (licensed or not) are typically favored. There also tends to be a preference or greater flexibility in assigning Engineers to the more challenging projects. The assumption and historical norms put the Engineers as more capable in developing the abstract than EngTechs. I've found this to often be the case with the EngTechs that I've worked with, though I've also worked with a number of them who were far ahead of the majority of Engineers. Financially, I've seen Engineers get better assignments, postings and promotionsl, with the added pay that follows.

On the other hand, most of the EngTechs were under a lot less stress than the Engineers.

Regardless of which way you go, it's what YOU do with your education and training that will determine your prospects. Good luck!

Jim Sykes, P.Eng, GDTP-S
Profile Services
CAD-Documentation-GD&T-Product Development

All,

Without a shred of doubt, I've decided to go with the BSME. I'm signed up to take ME classes for next semester.

Thank you!

Brian

HaZakated,

To make sure you get into the type of work you want to do, you may want to look into intern, or summer jobs that give you the experience on paper (resume) that will help you standout once you graduate with the herd.

In regards to which jurisdictions will not allow professional licensure solely with a BSMET, check out my earlier post. Louisiana will not.

You cannot get a license solely with a BSMET. You also cannot go to another state that allows it and bring that license here and use it to become licensed.

New licenses for BSMETs without accompanying Master's degrees will not be issued under current law.

Louisiana Revised Statutes
LRS 37:681 through LRS 37-703

Without a shred of doubt, I've decided to go with the BSME. I'm signed up to take ME classes for next semester.

I wish you the best. As others have said, don't lose sight of the art of engineering while you're learning the more rigorous science of engineering and you'll do well. I'm also in with the camp that can't stress enough the importance of interning with a company. An engineering curriculum is only the bare minimum required to be an engineer. The things you learn on the job are just as, if not more, important. Basically, the piece of paper proves a bare minimum of ability. The experience you bring to an employer along with it is an assurance that you're not stuck in the ivory tower of academia and can perform in the real world. Don't fall into the trap of trying to get the degree quicker by sacrificing the internship.

Also, being if you're interested in being creative, consider some courses in Industrial Design. I'm in New Product Development and am an engineer. I work with an industrial designer. Together, we come up with stuff that looks good and can actually be made. I imagine a lot of companies would appreciate an engineer that has some style, which could separate you from the competition.

Something you may want to look into is credit transfers from MET to BSME. Some Universities will give 2+ years credits of BSME courses for MET credits. You could possibly save money to take the 2 year MET program, then switch to BSME and still complete in 4 years. Also if you live in Canada, there are grants for technical programs that you may qualify for.

Regards

rhodie,

Disclaimer

I'm writing this reponse under the assumption you were being sarcastic - if this is not the case then please disregard.

End Disclaimer

While I completely understand and agree with your implied point, it does nothing to answer the question the OP asked.

Yes, it's possible to get your dream job and be very good at it with an engineering technology degree, or no degree at all. This does not mean, however, that the opportunities presented to a person with this degree will be equal to those of a person with a BSME. I'm not by any means trying to say that a BSME is a be-all / end-all, far from it. I am saying, speaking from experience, that a large number of companies require a BSME when looking to hire engineering personnel.

I will look into the industrial design classes (Great Idea!). Maybe I can take a class or two as technical electives.

As for the internship, I have been Co-op'ing for a year now. At this rate I will have 3 years experience when I graduate.

I understand what you mean about creative skills being stifled by an engineering program. The way I see it is there are alot of ways to solve problems (some better than others). I could be mistaken, but isn't it our job (as design engineers) to devise the best solutions to problems? In doing so, won't we be creatively thinking to solve these problems? I realize there are other functions of engieering, but I was under the impression that a design engineers primary function is to design. Doesn't the concept of designing and creating go hand-in-hand? For what it's worth, these are the observations/assumptions I've made. If I'm wrong, let me know. I also understand that things vary from place to place.

Thanks for all your comments.

Brian

I could be mistaken, but isn't it our job (as design engineers) to devise the best solutions to problems?

Absolutely. As long as you remember that the word "best" is a completely useless word that will never define the solution to a problem, you'll at least be a step ahead.

Invariably, if you design low-cost and utilitarian, the sales department will want sleek and more expensive. If you design elegant and clean, marketing will demand another feature that will blemish your original lines. If you design strong and durable for long life, management will ask you to back it down a notch to cut down the costs (and in my cynical mind, move more product).

In the projects I've worked on, the design that went to market was never the "best" one in anyone's mind. Everyone involved had something they were forced to compromise on and thought could have been done "better".

Folks-
Here's a quote right off the NCEES website:
"At the 2006 Annual Business Meeting of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES), delegates voted to modify the NCEES Model Law requirements for licensure to require additional education for engineering licensure.

The approved language states that an engineer intern with a bachelor's degree must have an additional 30 credits of acceptable upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level coursework from approved providers in order to be admitted to the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) examination.

NCEES committees have been studying this issue for more than five years, first through the Engineering Licensure Qualifications Task Force (ELQTF) and then through the Licensure Qualifications Oversight Group (LQOG). ELQTF, which was made up of representatives from NCEES, engineering professional societies, government, industry, and education, was established in 2001 to evaluate the U.S. licensure system. The task force concluded in 2003 that additional education would be necessary in the future to prepare students for engineering practice at the professional level."

Bottom-line:
Even the BSMEs will need ten more graduate and/or upper-classman three-semester-hour engineering courses to qualify to take the PE. Anyone else beleive the MET will fit into this new mold?

Tunalover

I look at this a bit more simply.

If you want to work as an engineer, you need a PE. To get a PE, it is prudent you have a engineering degree (not a technology degree).

If you want to work as a technologist, most firms will allow you even though you have an engineering degree.

If you want to work as an engineer, most firms will probably require you to have an engineering degree.

Depends on what you want now, soon and later, and what you can afford.

It is not an easy choice. Some posters here are pro engineer, some are pro technologist/designer. Some feel they wasted their effort getting their engineer degrees. Some feel they should have gotten the engineering degree.

It all comes down to what you want/need.

Talk it over with some people you know in your real life (not just on line), including your family.

Good luck.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

jpankask (Mechanical)

Thank you for trying to reply to the question..Please list the State that will not license as a Professional Engineer after taking the PE Exam if your B.S. Degree is in Mechanical Engineering Technology

jpankask (Mechanical)
Yes!!!Now: I love this part: ABETaccredited 4-year engineering technology program if your statutes allow for such. "Purdue University School of Engineering Technology dose have an ABETaccredited 4-year engineering technology program".

Note In the NCEES 2005 Licensing Boards Survey what happen to the State of Indiana..

Also.. Note: Please check the State of Texas: 12 years of engineering experence now you can take the P.E.. Exam.

Not sure what you are really looking for as I did answer your question. I don't know the statutes of every state but the ones I listed are the states I know will not license engineering technology graduates. There are no states that will allow technology graduates to take the exam and then will not license those graduates but there are some states who will not license technology graduates, period. They can't take the exam, they can't earn their PE license and they can't seek reciprocity from other states that do allow licensure of technology graduates. I didn't say it was right but it's the fact and if the original poster resides in one of these states, that may influence the decision to pursue a BS or BSET.

I think that for most product design engineering positions, a BET is more than sufficent. I think it's a great way to go. The only thing that really holds you back in life is you. If you let yourself believe that without a ME degree then you wont be sucessful, then you wont be sucessful. But if you let yourself believe that you are sucessful, then you will be.

You are now armed with a lot of information. Only you know your goals, dreams and how you want to impact your community. We wish you the best of luck.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back