Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloys 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all,

I'm new to the mechanical engineering field and trying to find the tensile strength of some aluminium alloys. I have searched around some BS Standards and found that I can't even get what I want in BS EN 485-2:1995 Aluminium and aluminium alloys - Sheet, strip and plate Part 2. Mechanical properties. Please could anyone help and advise where I can find out the tensile strength of aluminium alloys?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hard copy data is available in ASM International's Metals Handbook, Volume 2: Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys.

Many aluminum alloys are heat-treatable, so you generally need to know what condition (the pros call it "temper" designation) the alloy is in to know what its mechanical properties are.

P.S. No one should design to the tensile strength. Yield strength, yes. Fatigue strength, yes. Creep strength, yes. And, depending on the application, many other design factors. But it is difficult to think of an application where tensile strength was a design criteria.

Been out of aerospace for a little while but we used to use the following 3 specifications; QQ-A-200 for bar and rod; QQ-A-225 for extrusions; QQ-A-250 for sheet and plate. These 3 specs will give you required minimum values for Tensile, Yield (0.2% offset), and % elongation

Thanks all! You all are really helpful.
Actually the information I need is not for design purpose. Instead, I am performing a stress analysis using strain gauges and are checking whether the data obtained are reliable or not. The material under analysis are Aluminium Alloys 6028-T6, 6005A, 5254-H22 and 6063M. I have checked through the website " ASM's Properties of Aluminium Alloys and MIL-HDBK-5H. However, I am still having problem in checking the Elasticity Modulus and Tensile for these materials either because no such information could be checked or even no such materials could be checked. Could anyone help?

According to my Machine Design Materials Selector (circa 1993),
6063-T6 is about 25% weaker than 6061-T6 for both ultimate strength and yield.

For aluminums, the differences in elastic modulus are inconsequential. At room temperature, you can use 10,400,000 psi and not be off by more than about 5%

Another source to check is the Aerospace Structrual Metals Handbook. It has data for a lot more alloys than MIL-5 but in many cases, the appropriate statistically massaged design properties are not presented directly.

Hope this helps. Doug

Contact the Aluminum Association, Inc., 900 19th St.N.W., Washington, D.C. 20006. and ask them for referrals or help with this subject. Another resource would be Alcoa--generate a contact through their website.

Phone ALARS ( they are in the uk) and ask for a copy on thier book of alloys and thier properties, thier number is 0121 456 1103

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back