Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloys

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm new to the mechanical engineering field and trying to find the tensile strength of some aluminium alloys. I have searched around some BS Standards and found that I can't even get what I want in BS EN 485-2:1995 Aluminium and aluminium alloys - Sheet, strip and plate Part 2. Mechanical properties. Please could anyone help and advise where I can find out the tensile strength of aluminium alloys?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Possibly the reason you cannot find the strength properties for an aluminium alloy in EN 485-2 is because it is not a wrought alloy. There are other specifications that cover casting alloys. Also, some alloys are available as extrusions or bar, and not as sheet/plate. Again, a different EN standard covers those product forms.

Matweb is a good place to look for mechanical property info.

Thanks all! You all are really helpful.
Actually I am performing a stress analysis using strain gauges and are checking whether the data obtained are reliable or not. The material under analysis are Aluminium Alloys 6028-T6, 6005A, 5254-H22 and 6063M. I have checked through the website " and ASM's Properties of Aluminium Alloys. However, I am still having problem in checking the Elasticity Modulus and Tensile for these materials either because no such information could be checked or even no such materials could be checked. Could anyone help?

MIL-HDBK-5H has outstanding testing data (used exclusively, with manufacturer proprietary data, in aerospace), and can be downloaded for free. You can also use the "Aluminum Design Manual 2000" by The Aluminum Association. This manual is somewhat limited in that it is used for civil structural design. Therefore, there are only a limited number of alloys present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back