Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical Seal Type for High Temprature Transfer Fluid (HTF) Pump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrasi2012

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2012
IT
Dear All,

We have an HTF service up to 220 degree.C with medium used is Thermoline oil. We are in the process of selecting appropriate mechanical seal design for such high temp service. The service is contious. Motor raing is 170 kW.

Current proposal is use API Plan 53B with air forced cooler barrier fluid. please advsie your experience in such installation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have always used a single High Temp bellows seal with API Plan 02 + 62. Plan 62 using N2 to prevent coking. Seal life has run in excess of 5 years. Your selection of dual pressurised with PLAN 53 is a good selection but not required for this service unless you have environmental and safety issues with single seals. Having said that dual pressurised seals are very reliable but more expensive than single seals...
If you decide to use plan 53 then you do not need air blast you can use natural convection. This removes the need of electric motors. There are many services using natural convection successfully.

Trust this helps

I think this subject depends on your process fluid and your money, if your process fluid is not hazardous, toxic, inflammable you can use a single seal with PLAN 23 or 21 (23 preferred) to reduce your cost, but if not and you want minimize leakage rate, the cost is not important for you, you can use a double seal with PLAN 53. if i want to give you a cost comparison between 53 PLANs, I'll say you... 53C > 53B > 53A
good luck

I would also prefer high temprature stationary metal bellows with plan 02(steam) + 62 (N2) for its simplicity and easy maintenance. I experienced more problems when I used plan 54 (for some reasons customer preferred). Flexibox - What did you circulate in jacketed stuffing box? Also did you use stationary or rotating bellow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back