Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mechanical tests for welding procedure qualfication as per API 1104

Status
Not open for further replies.

engresague

Mechanical
May 13, 2014
CL
Hi,
In a process of repair procedure qualification, I had today a technical discussion about the next paragraph in the API 1104 code:

10.3.3 Qualification
...... As noted in Table 5, when wall thickness is over 0.500 in. (12.7 mm), the side bend tests shall be substituted for face bend or root bend tests.

The contractor said that this paragraph leaves open the possibility of making two side bend tests instead of face and root bend tests.
The procedures are one for full thickness and one for partial thickness.

In simply reading i can see that the code requires that the face bend and root bend tests should be made, but much appreciate any comments you may add about.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

engresaque,

As you mentioned, API 1104 indicates "As noted in Table 5, when wall thickness is over 0.500 in. (12.7 mm), the side bend tests shall be substituted for face bend or root bend tests". Note 'a' in this table also specifies "Side bend tests are substituted for face bend or root bend tests when wall thickness is over 0.500 in. (12.7 mm)".

So going with the belief that your WT is over 0.500", the code does not leave open the possibility for root or face bends...the code requires side bends to be used.

Simply put, and again assuming the WT is over 0.500", one tensile, one nick, one micro hardness and two side bends are required for the full thickness repair; you did not indicate whether the partial repair was internal or external, but in either case, you will need one tensile, one nick, one macro hardness, and one side bend.

If the WT is 0.500" or less, root and face bends are required.

Irrespective of the situation, the requirements are clearly stated.

Hi SectionIX,

Thanks for your attention,

But I'm not sure about understand it or clear my doubt.

Our case: the WT is >0.500". The partial thickness is external

That paragraph in 10.3.3 "As noted in Table 5, when wall thickness is over 0.500 in. (12.7 mm), the side bend tests shall be substituted for face bend or root bend tests" and note "a" generated divided positions into the our work team about. I am very interested in being sure about.

According your comments, In thicknesses over 0.500", shall be use the side bend tests...?

That is, the side bend tests replace the root and face bend test...?

Hi engresague

Note (a) [Side bend tests are substituted for face bend or root bend tests when wall thickness is over 0.500 in. (12.7 mm)] is a passive/aggressive way of requiring sidebends, and is meant to compliment the last sentence of the second paragraph in Clause 10.3.3

The operative phrase mandating sidebends is "Side bends are substituted...[/i]"

'COULD, SHOULD, AT THE COMPANY's DISCRETION, etc." are examples where an option is possible. In this case, Note 'a' along with the text that proceeds the table gives no option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back