Medium Voltage Power Fuse Interrupting Capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartracer087

Electrical
Apr 18, 2020
US
Hello,

FOR ANSI: It is my understanding that the ultimate interrupting capacity of a medium voltage expulsion power fuse is its asymmetrical RMS 1/2 cycle ampere rating, is this true? Therefore, for any X/R ratio, that fuse must be capable of interrupting the asymmetrical RMS current and the symmetrical RMS interrupting is simply derived from the X/R circuit considering the maximum interrupting asymmetrical RMS interrupting rating of the fuse, correct? Therefore if a fuse with say 20kA asymmetrical is applied on a circuit that was tested to have an X/R ratio of say 20, that fuse would have a symmetrical interrupting of 12,500A RMS symmetrical. Now that same fuse would still have higher symmetrical interrupting ratings if the X/R ratio was less than 20, so long as the asymmetrical interrupting does not exceed the 20kA, is that also correct?

I know for circuit breakers its a bit different in that you cannot increase the symmetrical interrupting rating of the breaker when your X/R falls less than the tested X/R, if X/R is less than or equal to the tested X/R ratio, you use the symmetrical rating as the maximum the device can interrupt. If the applied circuit X/R ratio is greater than the tested X/R, you must derate the symmetrical interrupting which is listed on the breaker.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ANSI standard for expulsion fuses is based on asymmetrical interrupting at an X/R of 15, IIRC. S&C tests at X/R of 20 so that can be a little confusing. The symmetrical rating is adjusted based on the actual system X/R as you state. But that is simply a back-calculated number and not based on any additional testing, as far as I'm aware. The asymmetrical rating alone is the basis for the fuse short circuit capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back