Meeting with Architect

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS

Mechanical
May 16, 2017
IN
Hi All,

I'm having a meeting with architect to get inputs for our machining workshop air-conditioning project. I have a few points noted, but still I want to be confident during the meet. Would you please suggest few points and checklists that I need to ask him?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know of any premade checklists, but for a workshop you need be sure you get:
[ul]
[li]List of equipment.[/li]
[li]Get an equipment layout if it's available or request it be delivered when complete.[/li]
[li]Equipment cutsheets.[/li]
[li]Equipment installation instructions.[/li]
[li]List of specific requirements for the equipment (does any equipment require a direct/indirect connection to exhaust system; is vacuum / dust collection needed; does any equipment need compressed air?)[/li]
[li]How many people in the workshop at a time?[/li]
[li]Temperature requirements? Many workshops are designed for a working temperature around 76-80 degrees versus 70-75 for an office.[/li]
[li]What kind of HVAC system is desired? Packaged system(s) on roof, floor mounted, or just ceiling fans?[/li]
[li]Will there be welding? Discuss fume control. Options range from welding bench with built in fan and filter to central system with inlets at work stations. See also [URL unfurl="true"]https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA_FS-3647_Welding.pdf[/url][/li]
[li]Are there/will there be indoor cranes and lifts?[/li]
[li]How will heating be accomplished? Workshops typically use unit heaters or radiant heaters. What is the energy source? is gas available or electric only?[/li]
[/ul]
Some of these points may not be relevant depending on the processes and work going on in the workshop.
You can't ask enough questions, if you think of something else that might be remotely useful to you in the future, ask it. Even if you don't need to know later.

In a nutshell, ask about utilities requirements:
And probably he has an industrial engineer laying out equipment, he should guide you on what he needs (dust collector? spent fuel? etc.)
Another aspect overlooked, in the housing of highly flammable fuels, they should issue a code analysis with a life safety plan showing fire and smoke rated walls/floors/ceilings.
Check for Plumbing utilities, as they might have sand dispensing to collect oils from floor, no floor drains where sand is used, use trenches(by architect) to lead to a pit (by architect) with sand trap. Any oil/water separators requirements, etc.
Check OSHA requirements for eye wash/showers and associated water tempering requirement for sizing water heater, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back