Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Megger testing procedure for 9 lead wye motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snox135

Industrial
Feb 5, 2006
US
I was hoping someone would know where I could find the proper testing procedure (megohmmeter phase to phase)for a dual voltage 9 lead wye connected motor? I found one for 9 lead delta at aemc.com but I cann't find one for wye connected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A megger is testing insulation integrity, usually in Megohms.
Continuity in ohms, often less than 10. Not all meggers have this feature. You may have to use a multimeter.
L1- L4 Continuity
L2- L5 Continuity
L3- L6 Continuity
L7- L8- L9 Continuity (Resistance between any two wires in this group will be twice the resistance between L1- L4, L2- L5, or L3- L6.)
To test windings to ground;
L1- Gnd Megohms.
L2- Gnd Megohms
L3- Gnd Megohms
L7- Gnd Megohms
To test windings to windings;
L1- L2 Megohms
L1- L3 Megohms
L1- L7 Megohms
L2- L3 Megohms
L2- L7 Megohms
L3- L7 Megohms

The actual values vary with the motor size, condition and temperature. The Insulation values found in service may be from less than 100,000 Ohms to many Megohms. A difference between windings is more significant than low readings. Bear in mind that there are three windings being tested together when connected to L7, L8, or L9. Megohms to ground from this group may be one third the resistance of a single winding.
Hope this helps
yours

No, No there was no misunderstanding. You gave him the exact info I was looking for. I already knew the continuity and to ground. I just wasn't sure of the windings to windings test.

Again thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back