Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcTangent

Structural
Feb 20, 2024
PH
Hi,

Good day!

For reinforced concrete moment frames that are not part of lateral load resisting system, section 18.14.3.2 of ACI 318-19 states that "Where the induced moments and shears do not exceed the design moment and shear of the frame member". Please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the induced moment and shear can be obtained by "Pushing/Deforming" the structure up to the ultimate displacement and can be done by Pushover Analysis where the walls are modelled to undergo inelastic behavior and the gravity frames are modelled as linear-elastic only.

My question is, is there alternative approach to determine the induced moment and shear specially for gravity beams of gravity moment frame?

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pls read clause 18.14.2.1 again
(...Members not designated as part of the seismicforce-resisting system shall be evaluated for gravity load
combinations of 5.3 including the effect of vertical ground motion acting simultaneously with the design displacement δu.)

You can calculate the design displacement δu with RSA also . You are expected to multiply the calculated deflections ( with using response modification factor R ) with Deflection Amplification Factor, Cd .( Refer to ASCE 7 -16 ,Table 12.2-1 )

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back