Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Membrane: Varying pressure drop for flow rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ports394

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2010
US
I'm working with a cross flow membrane at the moment.. what I've noticed is that at lower TMP's, the dP across the membrane is higher, to give me X gpm.

At higher TMP's the dP is lower to give me the same X gpm.

I have 2 flow meters in the line checking the flow, and the X gpm rate is correct. It's also been "bucket tested".

Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear sir
Drop pressure (DP)is in relation with retentate flow and viscosity. Linear velocity along membrane drives DP.
Permeate flow is in relation with TMP but there is no crosslinking between these two parameters
Best regards

Hey ports394 and herve
Depending on the type of membrane that you are using, a higher delta PTM can give either more or less permeate. In MF the max delta P I would stay under is 0.5-1.0 bar, in UF 1 - 10 bar and in RO it is really not very relevant.
In MF the crossflow should be very high, lower in UF and in RO balanced to prevent scaling. Hope this helps you abit.

membranedr, thank you. Eventually I've just chalked it up to gauge error. I was looking at a difference from 5 psi dP to 2 psi dP. For that module, I was running it to maintain a specific permeation rate, so the membrane conditions didn't matter too much as long as they were within spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back