Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord8055

Student
Sep 30, 2020
IN
Flash microcircuits (ROM memory).
Their total memory capacity is 1800 gigabytes

Write / read speed 2GB /sec

please can someone suggest me new memory chips for the given data above, I have been trying to analyze and search , but I cannot .
The task i have is to develop a protected memory module, which is an integral part of the "black box",flight data recorder . It provides - continuous recording of information; saves recorded data REGARDLESS OF POWER SUPPLY

Retains recorded information in the event of a flight accident
please can someone suggest me new memory chips for the given data above

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good luck with that... 2GB/s is an extreme speed (Class 10 Flash cards get around the ~100MB/s range, and some of the really fast stuff is in the ~250MB/s area), not to mention the temp requirements expected for a black box.

My guess is it will be a complete custom design with a mix of high speed dataloggers with RAM and multi-chip Flash in parallel to store the data in time, with a detailed CRC scheme to ensure nothing goes wrong.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

you’ll need a microcontroller , Flash ROM with parallel connection to the muc, serial port interface with main onboard aircraft system to receive data TAHT has to be stored on the memory chip, timer and interrupt set up. My teacher told me , it has to been done on paper any not practically make it . So it is possible you can make a layout showing how it can be done?

We provide assistance and advice.
We don't do homework.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

What do you mean by converting the sentence into circuit ? The issue is , I don’t know how to do that , can you please show me the layout so I can practical start working on the project

can you explain how did you get 20MS/s , but the deal here is i have been given the data and format it according to it .
data given :
Flash microcircuits (ROM memory).
Data rewrite cycle time - 15 min
Write / read speed - 2GB /sec
i solved from this and their total memory capacity is 1800 gigabytes
• 15 min and 2Gb/s

• 15 min = 900 sec

• 2 Gb/s x 900 sec = 1 800 Gb

like we are using similar concept of black box , not the actually box , so i have to design similar storage box with the above data , so i was told SSD drive is fine , but i have to design from scratch and i cannot understand what type of Flash memory to use , i searched the online microchip stores and manufactures pages , but i was not successful in find the flash memory type ( model / part number) and which micro controller to use also.
can you please guide and suggest me what flash memory to use , any specific model or part number so i can design a 2 tb storage memory module

As I mentioned earlier, you will not find a single chip that allows for a 2GB/s write speed. You will need to construct a multi-chip, parallel system that has appropriate buffering and bus speed, along with some form of CRC error correction. This is not a trivial problem.

IRstuff made an assumption of data retention length since you didn't specify in your original problem statement. You're also mixing notation, one minute saying 2 GB/s and the next 2 Gb/s... this matters as the former is 8x the data as the latter.

If this is the assignment handed to you by your professor, you're either over-thinking the level of design they wish you to put together, or this is a semester-long project that requires detailed work. In either case, there's little more help we can provide through this fora.

Dan - Owner

YEs sorry read/write speed is 2Gb/s miss typing mistake, its 2 Gb/s
few links showing non volatile Nand flash memory

so i can use that with a microcontroller , Flash ROM (here link ) with parallel connection to the muc, serial port interface with main onboard aircraft system to receive data TAHT has to be stored on the memory chip, timer and interrupt set up. My teacher told me , it has to been done on paper any not practically make it . So it is possible ?

Use the chips you already found... but you have to use several in parallel and interleave the data between them. You're going to need a fast processor to handle that interleaving.

The rest is what you need to figure out by yourself... any help beyond that and we're doing the project for you.

Dan - Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back