Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

memory issue with large assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlawrence

Military
Jun 30, 2005
US
I have a large assembly (memory usage 1.8 gig when retrieving) If I use a simplified rep using Grafics rep or geometry rep will this help me to work on the assembly better or is there a easier way.
Second question is what is the best way to create them.
I am using Pro-e 2001
Thanks
Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tim,

Try using Shrinkwrap functionality, you can perform the following operations:

•Represent complex design assemblies with a single lightweight part

•Improve performance of large assembly modeling—a Shrinkwrap model takes much less time to load than does a complex design

•Provide an accurate external representation of the design to other design teams, suppliers, or customers without providing the internal design intent—allowing others to visualize the product and conduct space claim studies, form and fit studies, interference checking, and so forth, while protecting design intent, trade secrets, patented designs, and other proprietary information

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

we are trying them but the assembly drawings need section cuts on them and shrink wraps don't seem to work well. I am not on this project but they are asking me questions and that was one of the first things I said too. Have you ever been able to do a section cut thru a shrink wrap? if so let me know please.
Thanks
Tim

Tim,

Simplified reps is the best tool in your case. Make as many you need and set the following option in your config file: open_simplified_reps_by_default to YES. This will allow to choose a specific representation at the begining of the session and PROE will load only the parts from simplified reps in memory.

Shrinkwrap is not parametric (unfortunately), so if you are modifying your parts you must create it again and again.

-Hora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back