Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Wire (Nitinol) questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphabits

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2004
CA
[copied from the Electrical Engineering Other Topics forum]

Here's a question about memory wire, also known as nitinol wire. I'm looking for something that is difficult to cut, and extremely flexible. I'm thinking that the nitinol wire meets my flexibility requirements, but I can't find a spec sheet that will tell me whether it will be easy to cut or not.

The application is a security strap that would be a rubber strap with a wire embedded inside. The goal is to prevent cutting with ordinary scissors while it's worn on a wrist or ankle. Flexibility is needed to allow it to wrap to different sizes, and high security is required to prevent removal.

I'd like to find something that meets these requirements and is smaller than 1/16" in dia. Am I asking too much? :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nitinol is amazing stuff. Although, I haven't seen a good spec sheet on this stuff either. Seems to be proprietary?? Special Metals Corporation is a good resource.

Jaysch:

The links in my previous post will give you a lot on the specifications.

There is a lot that is proprietary concerning the alloy, particularly in the way that it is made. It is not an easy piece of metal to manufacture. And yes, it does some pretty amazing things.

~NiM

NiTi wire is used extensively for braces (orthodontic). You could check with some of the arch wire manufacturers, such as Highland Metals and G&H Wire. They sell the wire in spools as well as cut and formed into arch wires, so they must know how well it cuts.

Jim Treglio
Molecular Metallurgy, Inc.

How about its applications in sheetmetal (at small scales)?? Also, how about pricing ...how much more expensive are they as compared to available choices of materials for sheetmetal work??

I know NiTi is so expensive and they are avaiable in thin film or thin wire form. Also the mechanical properties, such as young modulus, stiffnes are dependent on the temperature!

I think that you should have a try use superwlastic NiTi wire, which has low Youngers modle, high hardness and very big elastic strain, about 8%.

Share the newest technology with anyone for memory alloy materials and its applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back