Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MEP Designer Salary 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mars081978

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2008
I would like to know what is the current market salary for Mechanical designer(got 4 yrs degree, but not EIT or PE yet) with 1.5 years experience.

Thanks

CW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm in the same place (DFW) and same level of experience you are at, and I believe the going rate for us is VERY dependent on experience and ability.

A top of the line mechanical engineer, in DFW, with 2 years of GOOD experience, and lots of potential, should be worth ~70k after bonuses... to the right firm of course.

A mechanical engineer, in DFW, with exposure limited to one or two types of projects, no exposure to dealing with architects or clients, with no EIT registration, may only be worth ~50k.

Reading you boss's comments above I would suggest looking for another job. Before you start your job search first get your EIT. Also get the LEED certification. These are the 2 things you can do for your resume right now that will get you more $$$$. After you have these 2 thing send out the resume and see what offers you get. Take the offers to your boss if you want a raise. In the whole process you may even find a better job.

I felt underpaid and did exactly that. My situation is a little different since I live by CA and got a CA PE license after 2 year. It paid off for me. It's not good to job hop, but it's sucks to feel underpaid.

If you think you are worth more money then build your resume and go out there and get it. Of course employers like to get a good worker for cheap pay. It's up to you to do something about your career.

Ok, Im not an engineer, at least not yet. I need some help. I am a somewhat new refrigeration service technician and I really like it, but I want to become an engineer. I need some insight on what exactly it is that HVAC engineers do. I'm not very 'green' but am very interested in energy effeciency. I was just hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. I am in San Diego and am currently working toward an A.A.S. in HVACR. Appreciate any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back