Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MERCURY REMOVAL SYS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyandy

Chemical
Apr 14, 2004
IT
Dear All,
we are currently in need of your support for providing for an executive project a mercury removal system from a water stream where:

a) mercury is the only heavy metal , with a inlet concentration of maximum 5 ppm
b) water flowrate is 5 m3 / hr
c) the desired outlet mercury concentration is 5 ppb
d) the water comes from a preliminary oil removal system with CPI and flotation unit

we thought about a precipitation system with a polymeric agent or similar, we would like your kind support in understanding if a more complicated system would be required such as resins, with all related utilities etc. or a precipitation method would be enough. The water then passes to a biological treatment, so I would like to understand if 5 mg / lt of mercury could poison the biological cycle. We are concerned about COD content in case we use resins first, on the other hand.

thank you in advance for your cooperation !!
Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Andy,

Do you have a complete analysis of your wastewater stream besides heavy metals. For example, do you have results for the following tests:
(1) pH
(2) Conductivity
(3) TSS
(4) BOD
(5) COD
(6) Nitrogen/Nitrates
(7) Surfactants
(8) Oil & Grease

What is the source of your wastewater? Type of plant/facility you operate?

Todd

the only analysis we have is :

oil 500 ppm with density 500 / 900
BOD 2500
COD 5000
SS 100
ph between 6,5 and 9
conductivity no value
mercury 5 ppm max
some amine (MDEA) coming form CO2 removal plant
the plant name is oily water treatment plant, downstream processes in a gas plant

thnak you in advance!!

thank you Todd,
i do hope you could assist me in this hot stuff. some more info are:
so the main point is the mercury, which has to be removed by 1 K factor. Main points, very urgent now are:

We thought about CPI + precipitation + Activated sludge + resins. Does it sound?

I am in need of references of actual plants, as our chance now is given by this reply to the client.

How can a competitor of us let this water with this high COD content pass in the resins first? Or maybe he lets pass mercury in activated sludge as mrcury at this level does not affect the biological cycle?
H-E-L-P !!!
i am also reachable at andredd@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back