Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mercury spec in oil & gas industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magalhaes

Petroleum
Oct 17, 2005
BR
Folks;
I am looking for mercury specs adopted in the oil and gas industry. Does anybody know maximum values established for natural gas, LPG and naphtha, for example ?
Regards,
Luiz Silva

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've recently had cause to review a dozen different (mainline) pipeline tariffs from around the world and none of them set limits for mercury. I recall from the old old days when we had mercury manometers for dP measurement that gathering agreements sometimes had mercury specs, but those contracts have largely expired decades ago. I don't even remember the numbers, just that the contracts mentioned mercury. Sorry.

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Typically, the spec is 10 ng/Nm3 (0.01 µg/Nm3) for natural gas upstream of cryogenic units.
For sales gas (pipeline), it can vary from 10 ng/Nm3 to 20-30 µg/Nm3, typically 1-5 µg/Nm3 but depends on the buyer.
For naphtha, LPG and ethane, the spec is typically around 1-5 wt ppb, depending on what the product is used for.

To reach this specification, solid adsorbents can be used. Metal sulphide on alumina last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back