Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge layers (insert block)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameswiltshire

Electrical
Sep 13, 2011
GB
Hi,

I have a block which has 3 layers in. On one of the layers, layer A, i have a square with 3 smaller squares in it. I now import this block into another drawing which has the same 3 layer names in it. What i would like to do is hatch one of the layers, layer A, but it only hatches layer A of the current drawing and not layer A of the imported block as well. I need both hatching, i hope this makes sense. I`ve attached a drawing of what i would like to do to see if this helps.

Thanks

James

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b8f4ef0c-d345-4c2a-aa6a-46314a581a45&file=Test.dwg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you can get there with blocks but there should be a way.
What if you inserted the block 1 without the hatching into the drawing, also without hatching, and then did the hatching after the insertion?
You might be able to put the hatching on block 1 on a different layer and freeze it.

If you don't need the block attributes or updating you might just explode the blocks. The hatching should go around the squares both in the block and the drawing.

Good Luck... and let us know what you did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back