Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

merge meshed parts with a crack in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABD01

Structural
Dec 28, 2018
MD
Hi

I am in a situation I found it's better to mesh parts and then merge them. the parts are one block around the crack tip partitioned for mesh facilitation, and the whole plate and the crack.

So the procedure was: mesh parts, merge (geometry&parts) and the results were as wanted. But when I want to define the seam crack (which it merges with a partitioned block around its tip) Abaqus allow only independent parts to defined as a seam. Now I change the assembly (all parts merged) to be independent. Meanwhile, I lost the mesh from the assembly. Too much time for meshing the parts. and if I want to re-mesh the assembly (after changes to be independent) is a big pain.

what is the correct procedure to follow please for such case :( assemble mesh parts with crack; provided that parts should be independent to have meshed separately. All parts are dependent after being assembled. Now to assign seam crack (within the dependent assembly) the assembly should be changed to be independent and losing its mesh.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have to mesh parts separately, mesh the matching edge curves the same and they should fit together.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

rb1957
Thank you for your comment
Yes, matching the mesh/seeds on the edges is essential, but the trouble comes as I want to assign seam crack later to the merged mesh (dependent parts/mesh). The seam crack could be assigned only to independent assembled parts.
Therefore this procedure did not work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back