Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merge two layers into new one? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tluxon1

Mechanical
May 16, 2001
US
Does anybody have LISP code to combine layers. I have hundreds of drawings with several old legacy layers that use improper colors, resulting in incorrect pen assignments. Is there a way to "merge" two layers into a single "new" layer without "changing" all entities?

If that's not possible, all entities on each of the old layers could be automatically "changed" to respective new standard layers. I could write this from scratch but it would save me a few hours if someone has done this before.

Thanks for your help!

Tim Luxon
tbluxon@yahoo.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume Express Tools are new with AutoCAD 2000i or 2002. I forgot to mention that I'm entrenched in R14. Is it possible to access these "Express Tools" from R14?

Thanks,

Tim Luxon

In R14 you have Bonus Tools, it has some layer tools, one of which changes all items from one layer to another you pick, which essentially performs a "merge".

Go with rich2001 as this is the easiest and quickest way you can also change linetypes and colors this way using the toolbar items.

5 - PURGE FOR EMPTY LAYERS
6 - SAVE THE DRAWING
7 - OPEN THE NEXT DRAWING

If the methods above become tiresome due to repetition for each drawing, then ask for a VBA routine (easier than Lisp)to do it for a whole directory of dwgs, according to a layerConversion.txt list.

I might spend some weekend hours on this, if asked.

tigrek@hotpop.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back