Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merging STAAD Files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

csaeng

Civil/Environmental
Apr 22, 2008
US
Hi all,

I created 2 seperate .std files that I now want to merge.The 2nd file has structure that would fall in space between the seperate structures in file 1.

I am trying to find if i can merge these files based on co-ordinates/distances from origin so that everything merges perfectly.

Also i need to make sure any numbering/ renumbering works smoothly.

Copy/paste option takes in just the geometry.

Any help would be appretiated!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our firm frequently breaks large structures into several "sub-models" that the project's lead STAAD modeler will assemble.
There are several advantages to this:
*Bugs and error can be worked out simply in a small model
*The individual "sub-models" can be checked more easily
*It allows junior staff to get modeling experience
*Several engineers can contribute to the overall model simultaneously

There are also several items of caution:
**ALL models must use the same coordinate system
**ALL models must use the same system of units (not really a must but really hard to work around)
**A node/member numbering system for each model should be established BEFORE any modeling begins
**Clear definition of what is to be included in each model.

Assembly of the models is a cut-and-paste text operation from each "sub-model" input files to the main model input file based on the geometry, member incidence, loads, & parameters

Typically we'll have "sub-models" for each framing level (plan) with support points at the columns. The main model would include the columns, bracing and the sub-models.

Here's another way to do it.

With one of your models loaded in STAAD, pull down GEOMETRY>RUN STRUCTURE WIZARD.

You are now in the structure wizard.

Choose "Import CAD Models" in the Model Type drop-down box.

Choose "STAAD Model". You have to double-click.

Pick the file that you want to import.

Pick FILE>MERGE MODEL WITH STAAD.PRO MODEL.

It now ask you if you want to merge the model. This is brilliant. Why the hell would you pick merge model if you didn't want to do it? Anyway, pick "yes". Oh, you're back in STAAD now by the way.

Now you've got a dialog box that looks similar to the one you see when you use the move command. If you were smart you used the same coordinate system for both models so you just hit "OK". If you get this far you should be able to understand what's going on, so I won't describe this in detail.

I actually don't use this much so I would be interested to hear if you prefer using this as opposed to editing the text (.std) file. I suspect like all of STAAD's less used features it will have hiccups. For instance, I did it as I was writing this reply and it didn't bring the member properties over in the import. What a bunch of jokers.

It will take care of the renumbering so you don't have to worry about not duplicating numbers. One down side I can see is that once you've imported it, it's part of the big model so the convenience of sub-models that MrStohler mentioned is lost, or at least not terribly convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back