STAAD vs others 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

user277418

Structural
Jul 11, 2017
EE
Hi

I never used STAAD before, but I used a lot of other similar software (SAP2000, ETABS, RFEM, Autodesk Robot, SCIA etc.). The thing is I might have to use it in the nearest future. Watched a couple of videos online about it. From the 1st look STAAD's GUI is like from the previous decade or two. This is unpleasant but survivable if the software has some kind of very valuable functions missing in other products. I have been told that in the US and Asia many companies like it. If it is true there must be something that hooks engineers despite the awful GUI. That is why I have the question.

What are major benefits of STAAD compering to other similar software (I really hope it is not price only)?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@WARose ok real user. What else do you like in STAAD? Definitely should be more

Says who? Isn't what I said enough? But if you want more....I've always liked their Time-History plots (and also the fact it produces data that you can bring into excel; that comes in (very) handy). You can get actual corner forces (not on some contour map) for plate elements in the output file. I also really like their torsion analysis (including a code check) for steel. That's something RISA couldn't do (at least when I used it).

So really all sorts of things. I left a job some years ago because I was sick of RISA. I told the next guy I interviewed with: "Give me STAAD and with my spreadsheets....I'll take on anything."

But like I said: a lot of amateurs don't like STAAD because you have got to know what you are doing. But they can use whatever they want.

In fairness, probably most available software are able to output of shell element stresses, forces and displacements into spreadsheet format or similar.

In fairness, probably most available software are able to output of shell element stresses, forces and displacements into spreadsheet format or similar.

RISA couldn't when I worked with it.....but I realize that could have changed.

@WARose didn't want to be rude. Receive my apology if I was.
Regarding my doubts that you are a real user. Amount of your posting pushed me to an idea that you are on a payroll on the forum (which is absolutely fine). Even if so, but if you indeed are a long-term user and answering in a good faith then my apologies again.
Regarding content of your answers. Obviously I have absolutely different point of view on the "strong" sides of the modern FEA software. I tried hard to keep my mouth shut (keep my own opinion to myself) because I know how controversially the topic is. I supposed to make it easy. I.e. to ask what people LIKE. That actual users will share a couple of words on the topic and done. Unfortunately, I have lost it and spilled my opinion out. I tried to make it argumentative to do not look like spoiled kid who doesn't like something because just doesn't. But it is still criticism and for many it is unbearable. Unfortunately, I can say a lot more, but don't want to. I don't see anything positive in such a conversation for anyone. Besides I appreciate hard work of software developers if it is not just marketing and sales.

On that instance I don't mind if administrators of the forum delete the topic to do not put shade on anyone's work.

Amount of your posting pushed me to an idea that you are on a payroll on the forum (which is absolutely fine). Even if so, but if you indeed are a long-term user and answering in a good faith then my apologies again.

I have never worked for STAAD/Bentley....or for any other software developer for that matter. The vast majority of my posting has been in the "structural engineering general discussion". As far as my posting volume goes: Out of nearly five thousand posts on this web site (over 13 years)....only 40 of them have been in this forum.

STAAD isn't perfect....in fact there is a wish list of a few things I wish it could do. But none of them are. I just love that text command file. It serves as a template to set up other files.

Speaking of a wish list, that's something I wish STAAD could do. The current force output for plates (in the output file), doesn't make it easy to bring into a spreadsheet.

I consider STAAD more of a general FEM software but has old design codes ie aluminum design code from the 1998 or not integrated very well into the design modules ie no masonry design or you need an external design process. The only design module that is decent is the STAAD to RAM connection design module for steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back