Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merox....Alternative to Clay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

consilience1

Petroleum
Jul 31, 2006
KR
Dear Colleagues!

I'd like to ask about UOP Merox Prococess,that is sweetening process, especially Kerosene case.

Thesedays my plant suffer from pressure drop increase at Clay Filter in Merox.
If it is not due to water or caustic carry-over to Clay Filter, what do you think another cause or material that make pressure drop to increase?

The other question,
Is there any body who suggests the alternative to Clay that is for eliminate unexpeced stuff which causes low WSIM or bad color in Merox? How about Activated

All the best.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear dcasto,

In your gasoline Merox, isn't there clay filter?
And, through the Sand Filter, which properties of gasoline
is improved?

Thanks

The sand filter allowed the gasoline and water caustic solution to break the emulsion and we never saw caustic in the gasoline, The gasoline was dehydrated with molesieves later in the process. This filter was about 12 foot bed and 48" diameter on 5000 bbls/day. These are approximate sizes and should be checked by your supplier.

The clay filter is suppose to remove water soluble compunds I would assume that if not removed would cause clouding or freezing solidifying. I wonder if you need to change the clay because the active pores are filled up? The sand filter would reduce caustic carry over.

Do you dry the kerosene?

lion0061
I think a flow/pressure surge can affect the clay bed porosity to some extent. It is difficult to say because during such an upset water content would also be expected to swing, so which is which?
I guess some of the nitrogen components that gets oxidised causing colour and WSIM degradation might acctect the structure in the clay and can when the clay is getting "saturated" also cause some clay structure agglomeration/degradation.

Haven't seen a good alternative for clays myself. Would be very interesting to hear if anybody out there had any commecrial experience of such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back