Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mesh as Shear Reinforcement for Beams / Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlenderBeam

Structural
Apr 5, 2008
AU
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience in using mesh as shear reinforcement for beams?

The Australian code AS3600 requires the wire ends to be hooked or to have 2 of the transverse wires in the compression zone.

The main problem I am having is my compression zone is only 100mm (4") from the top of the beam - meaning technically 'no' anchorage.

Could you consider that having one bar in the compression zone is 50 % developed and hence half the shear strength?

I'd also like to know what other codes stipulate.

Cheers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Galambos,

Thanks for that. The info appears to cover the steel shear capacity of the mesh itself.

I'd be interested to know if there are papers on beam shear tests with mesh as reinforcement.

Cheers

I've used wire mesh reinforcing about 20 years ago for some 6" beams and it worked well. I've also used single bar stirrups with similar effect (as recently as about 10 years ago) for beams that were 8"x48" with little load applied and 14' clear spans and 2' o/c. Top and bottom rfg was limited to single 25M (#8) size bars if memory serves.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back