Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meshing gears in Abaqus - contact analysis 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjantarajunior

Materials
Feb 15, 2016
GB
Hello everybody,

I am new to Abaqus and have been trying to do contact analysis of a pair of spur gears some time now.
If anybody has performed such analysis, please let me know. I would be really grateful!
What I have done so far:

1. Created and imported a Solidworks file for the gears;
2. Created the material, section, and assigned section to parts;
3. Meshed the parts;
3. Created a kinematic constraint on a reference point (in the center of the gear) to its inner surface, in order to emulate the shaft;
4. Created a contact interaction (friction coefficient of 0.12)
5. Created the interaction (my gears are on the YZ axis, therefore:)
BC1 - pinion - angular velocity - able to rotate only on UR1
BC2- gear- angular velocity - able to rotate only on UR1

The thing is, if I apply a torque to the gears, they will not rotate. I know that this may be a dumb question, but shouldn't they rotate only with a torque applied?
I have already checked my units, and they are consistent. I apply the torque on the reference point at the center of the gear since it is constrained to the inner surface of the gear. Am I doing it right?

If a do apply an angular velocity to the pinion (changing the BC1 to 1 rad/s on UR1 for example) then both gears will rotate. But when I apply a torque to the other gear, I get no difference in the S stress results! I've tried both small and huge values, and I get no difference. It's as if torque makes no difference on the analysis!

Should I just change the angular velocity and calculate the torque based on it? If so, how do I calculate?

>>>My goal is to understand how varying the torque will affect the contact stresses.<<<

Here are my files:
Thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi A.Ismail,

It is great that this thread has helped your work as well.
I have not yet published my work, but I intend to do so in the next few months.
If you have any doubts, let me know.
Best regards,

Hi,

Not sure if i hv to create new thread or just posting here...

I made my own set of gears and follow vjantarajunior last setup, but my job have warnings and error before aborted

1. warning: There are 2 unconnected regions in the model.
2. warning: Displacement increment for contact is too big.
3. error : Too many attempts made for this increment

please assist me.
tq

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=be803118-8524-4f99-b8d5-26ff89b62af0&file=spur_throughall_3nov.cae
What I suggest and worked for me is:

Do different interactions of each pair of flanks in contact. In my case, since it is 34 teeth x 34 teeth, that would be 34 interactions for one rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back