Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meshing multiple element types in ANSYS Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

helfreco

Structural
Feb 15, 2011
US
I am currently trying to create a frame with floor slabs in the ANSYS Workbench environment. My preivous models have all been shear walls only, so only Surface Bodies have been needed. My new model has walls and a steel frame, I have modeled walls as surface bodies, and beams as line bodies. For some reason, I cannot share topology between a surface body and a line body.
My question is, how do I create continuous mesh in ANSYS Workbench where a line body and a surface body share an edge?

In previous models, where I only had shear walls, I would form all Surface Bodies into a new Part in Design Modeler. This gave me the continuous mesh when I moved the model into Mechanical. Unfortunately, this is not the case when I have line element s included in the geometry. Please help!

Thank you all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When joining a line body or a sheet body to a solid body, you need to use constraint equations. ANSYS/Mechanical (formerly Workbench) can do this in their latest release. I believe that it's under the "Use MPC" option for contact pairs.

Best regards,
Chris Hubley

Thank you for the advice.

Unfortunately, our client has asked for .inp files only so they can review the models we are generating in an older version of ANSYS APDL. That is why I need to generate a compatable mesh between the line and sheet bodies, because as far as I know APDL doesn't have the MPC option.

Ansys APDL has everything that Workbench has and much more. In fact, Workbench is merely a front end to a powerful solver.

You cannot simply join the elements and call it a day due to the extra degree of freedom that line and surface elements have, rotation. You need to use constraint equations to tie down the rotational DOF. The only place where a conforming mesh or a standard contact pair might work is a lap joint. Embedding the elements as you suggested may make your part too stiff near the interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back