Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

meshing of concrete block 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aminjamali

Civil/Environmental
Sep 28, 2008
CH
I have a concrete block to be meshed like the attached picture. I have been desperately trying to do so, no success so far, could anyone please help? The block is not a complete cube. My problem mostly arises from a fact that the distance between the mesh lines are not equal...Both top view and side view of the block are provided. I will be very thankful...

Amin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I forgot to add...I usually divide the block to portions with unifrom meshing and then i constrain them (using Coupling utilities in Ansys) but this is really time consuming and I am not happy with such an approach, there should be better way to do that.

I'm not sure if I understand your problem... can't you just build a 2D shell mesh of the top face by dividing it into the 5 regions whic correspond to the different mesh densities, then map-mesh each region. Then you can sweep this mesh down in three steps to create the correct densities in the other direction.

..or is that what you already did?

Hi

Why don't you slice you solid model at the locations you drawn in the picture and then use the vglue command to get a corresponding mesh at the nodes.

Hello slumdogengineer,

Thank you very much for the tip, I really appreciate it. I actually wanted to avoid dividing the "source" into 5 regions. In that case, there will be 5 small blocks (then I would need to constrain coincident nodes, the thing I want to avoid). I was wondering how to mesh the "source" as only one shell (sorry for not being clear).

Thanks again
Amin

Ok, I don't understand what you mean by "constraining coincident nodes". If you divide the top area up and create an area mesh, this should be a continuous mesh, the same applies when sweeping. If there are coincident nodes for what ever reason (maybe you have defined adjacent areas with different lines or keypoints) you can merge them with nummrg,node.

Otherwise, I don't believe there is a way of meshing exactly as you need it without dividing the source area, unless you define every node individually using the "n" command.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

slumdogengineer and ansysfreak,

Merging nodes through NUMMRG does what I want! Also, "glue"ing the volumes before meshing them solves my problem.

Thank you guys!

Amin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back