Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Metal Boxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just adding the inline image. Please use the upload image button (with the plus) in the future.
image_aktnix.png

I have been unable to find a code section that provides documentation stating this is not allowed. If you feel its not to code please provide the code section.
Thanks

Those are both classified as 4" square boxes. The lower box is not a complete box but is an approved box extension.
It may not be good practice but the box extension may have been the only type of extension available.
Many inspectors would pass it.
On the other hand some may fail it on the basis of poor workmanship.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Thanks Waross.... That's pretty much what I have learned. If it's not a straight out code violation per NEC then I will not fight the contractor over it. I agree its not best practice however as an inspector I have many other battles I would rather argue over.

That is not a round extension box. It is a square box with rounded corners conducive to being manufactured by a stamping process, rather than a cut and fold process. It is the same functional part made by two different manufacturers. I would assume both conform to the same spec. At least the screw holes match.

If the components are from different manufacturers, some inspectors would flag this as a violation of 110.3 (B) "Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

-JFPE

No. It may not be explicitly wrong "by code" or "by letter and paragraph" and definition of a "box", but by "real world exposure of visible electrical wiring connections" to water, spray, fog, fire fighting smoke/gas/spray/extinguisher shower heads/bugs/grit/dust/dirt.

Have the contractor replace it.

Well those boxes are for use in dry locations. They have enough screw holes to allow the entry of water, spray, fog, firefighting smoke/gas/spray/extinguisher shower heads/grit/dust/dirt.
Even with a matching box there will be numerous screw holes.
I did find something in the Canadian Code.
While the rules in the CEC do not apply in this situation, they may provide some hints to searching your local code.
Canadian Electrical Code said:
(1) Where conductors pass through the walls of boxes, cabinets, or fittings, provision shall be made to....
(e) close the openings through which the conductors pass in such a manner that any remaining opening
will not permit entrance of a test rod 6.75 mm in diameter (1/4 inch dia).
Receptacles
(10) After installation,....
(b) any openings around the receptacle or cover shall be such that a rod 6.75 mm in diameter (1/4 inch dia) will not
enter; and
Given that our code allows a 1/4 inch opening, that looks like it is marginally over 1/4 inch.
eatapeach said:
as an inspector I have many other battles I would rather argue over.
I agree.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back