Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Metal Building Bolts Wet Set low, Method to Extend up for Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdruehl

Civil/Environmental
Oct 27, 2004
US
Please comment as to the methods for extension of wet set anchor bolts that are sunk and too low to extend above the baseplate for the nut for metal frame building. discuss coupler vs weld please! we have opted for weld, in which case the welder is asking for details ofcourse (request comment about welding), (welding would require less removal of concrete and would seem to be conducive to maintaining bolt shear in the concrete), but couplers made for tension not shear create their own issues, besides that of more required concrete removal!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I SEE that there are numerous threads about this problem already on this site, and once again, as expected, there is still some grey areas in opinion on whether its a good 'idea' to weld bolt extensions as opposed to core drilling (really?) and install new anchors or some other method. If someone has a clear response related to actual code!! that would be very nice indeed, or even if they are aware (especially for the newest code, as many threads were "old") that it is indeed quite common (and have spec'd this themselves) to weld bolt extensions for this problem ("chissel full penetration weld) even though not the only or "best" solution that would be also very nice!!

I worked on a project where we used the style shown in the second post.
My boss (responsible engineer) required that the entire splice be below the surface.
That way it was fully grouted in and could not be loaded in bending.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

JAE! THANKS, now this is exactly what i expect from this forum!!!! i appreciate it. I was aware of the "Chissel" weld, it seems that the certified welder should also know how to do this weld, but ofcourse, everyone wants the engineer to be responsible for the universe. Another aside, i called simpson strong tie, cuz they are a great resource!! and talked about this situation, to which he said the option for just drilling out existing bolts or moving to differnt location on plate and then epoxying, is now pretty much a NO GO, because the new code has reduced the epoxy load strengths by (i think he said ) close to 40%... JUST a FYI!!!! THATs a big deal for all of us when the contractor calls and says he forgot to use the wet set stab bolt on a hold down shear wall eh????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back