Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal Folding Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidLeech

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2004
IE
My employer manufactures folded sheet metal products for the roofing and cladding industry. The material is typically less than 2mm (1/16") thick mild steel and product lengths are 8mtrs max. The pressings are simple 2D profiles and high levels of accuracy is not critical. At the mment all product details are sketched on pieces of paper and issued to the shop floor where the machine operator enters the details to the machine controller. I am trying to source software that will allow us to program the parts in the office and generate a file that can be transmitted to the machine without the need to produce sketches. We already have AutoCAD and SolidWorks so maybe there is some add-on. There are lots of programs for Turret Presses, laser cutters etc., but metal folding software seems to be scarce. If anyone can offer any guidance on this I would be grateful.

Thnks,
David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply CorBlimeyLimey. Nothing here that quite matches what I am looking for. I was thinking that if I could get a typical example of an NC file for a folding machine then maybe it might be viable to have a custom application develped assuming nothing else is available. Does anyone know where I might view an NC file of this type - I assume they are ascii text files

Thanks

As far as I know there is not any software to do this. I know there wasn't 15 yrs ago when I tried it, but have not heard anything lately.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Thanks for that ctopher, I'm wondering how does everyone else using folders deal with the problem of data input if there is no appropriate software. I assumed our setup where I work was grossly lagging behind everyone else but maybe its not, either way there has got to be a more efficient way of doing things.

As far as ACAD goes, it would be somewhat simple to create an AutoLISP routine to create the geometry for drawings. Google "nc code editor" or something similar. AutoEditNC at is one free program that pops up. EdgeCam has a free nc code editor also:
By the looks of it, it looks like you would be able to create an Excel file to input the variables, and then have a row with the x, y, and z values etc. to create your code.

Also Google "nc code sample".

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back