Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal Pan Roof Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanski

Structural
May 9, 2011
CA
Can anyone please tell me where I can find information on metal pans for flat roofs. The pans are topped with concrete. I need to find section properties, shear transfer mechanisms, etc so that I can assess the load capacity.

Thanks,

Quan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know the manufacturer? Do you have a design drawing? A specification?
That's where to start. These guys have pretty good websites.

I have nothing. That's the problem. I don't think the steel pans are standard anymore. None of the major suppliers seem to carry them. So I am wondering if there is any old literature on them.

If you can snap a picture and post it maybe someone can point you toward a manufacturer.
You'd be surprised at the resources some of us have in our dusty files.

Quanski:
That used to be a fairly common form of concrete construction for floors and roofs. One way systems were just conc. joists formed with pans, framing into major conc. beams on column lines. Two way systems actually used square or rectangular pans, with joists running in both directions. And, the design process used essentially std. concrete design methods for whatever time period. Who are the major suppliers you contacted? I can’t imagine that there is no info. available for design and layout for construction. I’ll bet you can still rent the pans. And, on those kinds of buildings I’m surprised you can’t find any construction documents, unless they are really old construction. You certainly need a lot more info. to start to attack your problem than provided in your OP, not the least of which might be; conc. strength, reinforcing strength, quantities, lengths, locations, etc., layout dimensions, joist width and depth, slab thickness, on and on. CRSI always had good coverage of this conc. construction method.

Dhenger is right. Look in older CRSI handbooks have data on all types of concrete floors including pan floors.

Regards,
Lutfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back