Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal stiffness calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHWood

Materials
Jun 18, 2003
US
I am in the automotive metal stamping field and a customer has asked us to calculate the increase in stiffness of a stamped part if we increase the thickness by "x" amount or if we increase the strength by "y" amount. It has been a long time since engineering mechanics for me ('73) and I would appreciate some help in calculating this. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stiffness or resistance to elastic deflection, is a function of Modulus of Elasticity and Moment of Inertia, related to geometry.

Since you are working with a stamping it is safe to assume it is a rectangular cross section and the primary loading is in bending. It really depends on the overall geometry and load pattern but for a simply supported beam in bending with a rectangular cross section, the moment of inertia is bh^3/12 where h = thickness or dimension parallel to the bending load. Therefore if you increase thickness by x the moi becomes b(xh)^3/12 = bx^3h^3/12. In other words the stiffness increases by x^3 (x cubed). For example if you double the thickness, x=2, and x^3=8 so stiffness is increased 8 times. Or x=1.25, 25% increase, x^3=1.25^3=1.95 or almost double the stiffness.

Increasing strength will not affect stiffness. Modulus of Elasticity is the ratio of stress over strain. increasing strength does not change this ratio.

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back