Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metal Stud Pony Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCMKS

Structural
Sep 11, 2007
US
I am designing the connection at the base of a metal stud pony wall. It is along stairs, 4' tall, 3.625" thick and i'm applying a 200# load horizontally to the top of the wall per UBC 97.

Problem: I am getting very large uplift forces on the SMS screws at the base and on the shot pins which anchor the bottom track to the concrete slab.

Question: Does anyone have a beefier connection detail for the base of the wall to teh slab? or different way of analyzing the metal stud pony wall system to get smaller uplift forces?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Increase the thickness of the wall to 6" or 8" with studs on alternate sides @ 24" spacing and full width base and top. Attach base to floor with Hilti adhesive anchors.

Unless you can make the top plate span from a return wall segment at each end, I would install intermittent vertical 3" rolled channels or angles field welded to cast in plate in slab or set into cored holes drilled thru existing slab and into backfill and filled with concrete. Infill between rolled members with metal studs.

Note that you can get up to 0.02 radians of rotation with the stiff clip. This may fail you in deflection.

Check out the SSMA details here. There may be an idea or two in them. If you can't use an embeded plate with a tube made up of studs welded to the embed, I would try to get the studs to by pass the slab instead of bear on it. Otherwise, it's time to get creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back