Metallic compound (Hi-temp Lab metal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukie

Nuclear
Oct 11, 2001
CA
Hi guys,

I would like to know from past experiences if anybody has succeed in fixing a non-pressure retaining part on a vessel working at high temp. as 510°F on steam (i.e. baffle plate or something like) with a product like Hi-temp Lab Metal from Alvin products?

Or maybe you have experienced with other similar product?

Regards
Marc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several similar products that are used in the same manner as Alvin Hi-temp. All of the products are fillers or putties and not adhesives or glues.
Most of these work by forming an Al rich alloy(mixture) with Zinc or a Zinc matrix with Al particles.

They have there places, but not in a steam chest

Unclesyd,

DO you had any bad experiences or know peoples who had bad experiences with this kind of product on steam, I'm asking because the product manufacturer assume that it do the job on steam ?

Thanks

I've seen different forms of these materials used at different company sites, probably 5 or 6 times. In every case they failed. A manufacturer will always tell you that there material is the greatest so your bet is to get them to give you a name of user, not compensated, and check it out.
There is a material of similar description and makeup that cost my company many thousands of dollars when used to "repair" the channel section of a heat exchanger. Also a different product of the same type caused outages in a 175# steam system when used to fill in very large tube sheet.

Unless there has been drastic improvements in these type materials they are not suitable for you temperatures. Even Aluminum metal’s strength starts to fall off rapidly at these temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back