Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metallurgy

Status
Not open for further replies.

otx12

Automotive
Dec 8, 2002
CA
Can anyone recommend a good book on metallurgy? I am interested in both ferrous and non-ferrous metals. I would like to learn more about the basics and get a better understanding about the heat treating and structure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASM International has authoritative references on anything related to materials. Two references you should investigate are the following:

Metals Handbook Desk Edition, 2nd Edition

and

Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist

Browse through the other selections at the ASM bookstore online, as there are a number that may be of interest to you.

Some used, older edition textbooks are amazingly low-priced. The 1985 edition of Van Vlack's book can be purchased for $1 + shipping. I recommend the more comprehensive book by Callister. The 4th edition(1997) is at little as $2.43 + shipping. I use the following 2 book searches; AddALL is better for sorting , Campusi includes more sellers:

Elements of Materials Science and Engineering, 5th Edn., Lawrence H. Van Vlack, ISBN 0-201-08086-9, (1985), 633 pages.

Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction , 4th Edn., William D. Callister, Jr., ISBN 0-471-13459-7, (1997) 852 pages.

METALLURGY FOR ENGINEERS, E. C. ROLLASON, no ISBN (1951, 1959, 1964) about 339 pages.

For basic metallurgy only (very simple theory), the following is about $3 + shipping.
Metallurgy Theory and Practice, Dell K. Allen, ISBN: 0826935001 (1969), 663 pages

A recent, inexpensive heat treating book that covers steels in detail and other metal rather briefly:
Heat Treatment Of Metals, Vijendra Singh, ISBN 81-86308-50-4 (1998) 588 pages; ISBN 8180140385 (2004) 643 pages.

And for advanced levels, I recommend:
Physical Metallurgy Handbook, ISBN 0-07-057986-5,
Anil Kumar Singh (2003) 1808 pages. Used prices are $44+, new is $55+.

For on-line information, the general content at Key to Steel and Key to Metals is mostly free. E.g., the Fe-C phase diagram:

steelmaker's link has been updated to
Covers only steel, and rather briefly (site still under construction), but very good information on some modern steels, e.g,. the dent-resistant, bake hardening steels used in car bodies. I suggest using as a supplement to the older textbooks. Go to Ferrous Metallurgy > Strengthening Mechanisms. Print out the 2 pages headed “Strain Hardening and Bake Hardening” & “Advanced Low Carbon Cold Rolled Steel Strip.”
The section “Dual Phase and TRIP Steels” is also quite good.

WOW thanks everybody... I really appreciate the help and great suggestions.... looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Best wishes ;)

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back